Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query December Update not working

I have recently installed the December 2020 update and enabled the new Direct Query functionality, however it appears the functionality is not working. I've attempting both with a connection to Azure Data Services and a connection to a PowerBI data set but in each case the option to 'Make changes to this model' in the connection details (bottom pane) is not present and I the 'Get Data' and 'Transform Data' menu options are disabled, just as it used to be in previous versions when connecting live. I have also attempted to work first with a local model and then connect to a PowerBI data set but receive the 'You cannot connect to a Live data source when already connected to a data source' error message. 

I'm using my organization account in PowerBI service to connect to the PowerBI data set. 

Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious and hoping someone might have the answer? 

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Hmm. I think at this point I will go to support and ask if this Azure Data Service is supported.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What's the version of your Power BI Desktop? It is working well as I test it with the below version:

PBI Version.JPG

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft - thanks for your message. I have the same version as you have shown installed yet when I try to connect to a PowerBI dataset I am getting the below message. Similarly, if I try to connect using a new file to Azure Analysis Services or a PowerBI dataset using a new file, as soon as I make the connection the Get Data menu is disabled - basically it is behaving exactly as it had in previous versions and I'm not getting the functionality where I can transform the data model or create a local model. Any ideas?? Is there something obvious I'm missing here that would otherwise prevent the functionality from working (I have already reviewed the December update article and can't find a solution there). 

lil_roro_0-1609760636381.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you use DirectQuery to connect to any Power BI Dataset? According to the info refer in the blog provided by @parry2k , it is still waiting for some final Azure Analysis Services updates, and may not support use DirectQuery to connect to Azure Analysis Services currently...

Note that at the moment, we are waiting for some final Azure Analysis Services updates which are rolling out this week. You will be able to try this feature against Power BI Datasets, and support for connections to Azure Analysis Services will come by the end of this week.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous there are for sure limitations, read at this post

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @parry2k  -I had already reviewed that article and it doesn't provide the answer to my query. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you need to turn this feature on in the preview, options.

Check my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and Beyond to get a summary of my favourite Power BI feature releases in 2020

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k  - thanks for your input but I already did enable the feature in the Preview Options and restarted PowerBI but the functionality is not working. I'm thinking perhaps there is a limitation here I'm not aware of either due to my organization permissions or the type of connection I'm using. I understand it's not possible to connect to MyWorkspace PowerBI data sets, but I'm trying to connect live to a published data-set and as soon as I do this, the Get Data and Transform data menus are disabled. Any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing is happen to me. Were you able to fix it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors