Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kamaizziati
Helper IV
Helper IV

Direct Query Data

Hi All,

I need to get data from database using direct query mode.

Can I do the direct query from my local desktop and use the server and database information needed not from server desktop.?

I already ry to get the data from server from my local destop but have error. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi  @Kamaizziati,

If I understand your requirement correctly that you want to connect the database with Direct Query in Power BI Desktop?

If it is, you could get data from database with Direct Query in Desktop.

Untitled22.png

I already ry to get the data from server from my local destop but have error. 

Which database have you connected? Could you paste your error so that we could help further investigate on it?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft,

When I do get data from database at server desktop its okay and not have problem. But when I want to get data from database but I do on my local desktop (my PC) and call the server name like figure you show above I did not connect power bi with databse server and below is the error.

2018-03-30_0948.png

Thanks Cherry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On your local desktop, create a text document, and than change it's extenion to udl. Open this Data Link tool and use it to connect to your SQL DB. If you still cannot connect to it. This means your local desktop could not setup connection to your SQL server. You need to check firewall or something esle to solve this problem first.

2018-03-30_10-03-07.png

Hi @Anonymous,

Already do what you have suggest but have below error. This error are related to server security? What I need to do to solve this error?

2018-03-30_1102.png

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.