Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andynoodle
Regular Visitor

Direct Query - Can't use with additional data sources?

Hello,

I wish to automate a dashboard that combines data from both DocumentDB and Microsoft SQL Server. 

However, if I have a documentDB connection live, I lose the option to select "Direct Query" when setting up a SQL Server connection. 

Why is this option restricted? Is there no way to create a fully-automated dashboard using more than one data source?

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@andynoodle,

When creating a report in Power BI desktop, we can only have one connection model. Since connect to DocumentDB is using import model. So you cannot connect to your SQL Server database by using DirectQuery model. 

To work around this issue, you could use import model. Or you could create two reports in Power BI desktop and then publish to services. Then you can pin the visuals from two report into one dashboard.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi, is there any option to connect from Power BI to DocumentDB (now CosmosDB) in direct query mode ?
I think 99% of cases the  import mode for such (big) databases is a non-sense.

There is currently no way to do this 😞 hopefully soon! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.