Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cjemmott
Advocate I
Advocate I

Direct Query Azure SQL Speed Problems

I am having some performance issues with Power BI, both Desktop and Premium with Azure SQL Direct Query.  I think it is related to inefficient queries being generated by PBI in some cases.

One example: I am working on the dash pictured:PBI 1.PNG

Using direct query against Azure SQL I can filter using the “Group” slicer and the “Activity Type” Treemap and get the results back in under a second (circled in green).  However, when I select what I think is the same filter using the “Activity by Group” stacked bar chart, the query will take 90+ seconds to update “Activity by User” (circled in red).  These are actually the exact same query!

This doesn’t seem to be a cache problem – I can try different filters in different orders and get consistent results – applying the two filters separately gives me 100x or so speedup over clicking the same filter with the bar chart.

It might help to know that the data relationship looks like this:

Groups (*:1) Users (1:*) Activity

All both directions, with referential integrity.  The query I am talking about uses “groups” and “activity” to filter “users”.  When I apply the filters separately it is just two easy inner joins – there is no reason the bar chart should take so long.

What is the best way for me to get help about this?

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @cjemmott,

According to your description above, I have tested it with the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July 2017)). And I cannot reproduce this issue on my environment.

I would suggest you try creating a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance on this issue. Smiley Happy

Regards

I opened a support ticket.  Here is some additional information:

I ran the same query multiple times from PBI desktop, clicking “refresh” in between to clear the cache.  Timing for the long query on two of those were 33 and 26 seconds as viewed from Power BI.  Average time from Azure SQL Query Performance Insight was 17 seconds.

This SQL database is using a pool with 800 eDTU and was the only thing running.  Multiple tables are joined, the smallest of which has 50 rows and 8 columns, and the largest 50k rows and 12 columns.  This seems like it should be very fast!

But somehow the query is 1972 lines long!  It basically enumerates every possible case…

I did the same exact query (well, full outer joins rather than relationships with referential integrity) from Tableau.  Same database, computer, etc.  Tableau used 12 lines of SQL, 2.31 second total query + render with no cache.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.