Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asriniva33
Frequent Visitor

Dimensional model querying

Hi,

I have connected my Power BI Desktop to TFS_Warehouse(Dimensional Model) database on Direct Query Mode. I am facing an issue when trying to get data from three different tables simultaneously into my chart.

Scenario: There is a Dimension Table(D1) connected to a Fact Table(F) with 1 to Many relationship. There is one relationship of Many to 1 from the same Fact(F) to a Date Dimension(D2). Now, when i am trying to display the fields from the three tables an error as "Can't determine relationships between the fields". 

But surprisingly if i try to display the data from two tables (one fact and one dimension), i am able to display the data without the error.

Could someone please let me know if there is any solution to my issue.

1 REPLY 1
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @asriniva33,

I have tested it on my local environment, we can reproduce this issue. The issue is cause by that there is no a directly relationship between those two dimension table. I use AdventureWorksDW2012 sample database in my test. I get data from three tables below.
DimDate
DimProductCategory
FactInternetSales
there is no directly relationship between DimProductCategory and FactInternetSales, the relationship is
FactInternetSales->DimProduct->DimProductSubcategory->DimProductCategory 

when I load DimProduct and DimProductSubcategory, the issue disappear.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.