Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rhubarb

Difficulty counting differences between old and new products

Hi, for the sake of this question I have a set of old products which are being migrated to new products. Each product has a set of attributes which I want to compare so that I know how many differences there are for each migration mapping.

Here is some data. The mapping table looks like this:

Mapping IDCategoryOld Product IDNew Product ID
1A111
2A211
3A312
4B121
5C222
6C323

The Product table looks like this:

Product IDProduct NameAttribute 1Attribute 2Attribute 3
1Name1S123TRUE
2Name2M456FALSE
3Name3L789TRUE
11Name11XS234FALSE
12Name12M345TRUE
13Name13L456FALSE
21Name21S678TRUE
22Name22L456FALSE
23Name23XL890TRUE

I want to know the number of differences across all Attribute columns for the chosen 'Old' and 'New' products. Also, the number of Attribute columns may change.

So far I have separated the attribute fields into a separate table in Power BI so that the model looks like:

rhubarb_0-1669418137650.png

In my report I want to select a mapping from product X to product Y and show:

• A list of attributes and their values for both products
  • Whether the attribute is the same for both products
  • A count of how many differences there are between products

So the report looks something like below, except that the count of differences is not correct.

rhubarb_1-1669418446666.png

I have 4 measures:

1. Old Product Attribute Value = SELECTEDVALUE('Product Attributes'[Value])
  2. New Product Attribute Value = CALCULATE(SELECTEDVALUE('Product Attributes'[Value]),USERELATIONSHIP(Mappings[New Product ID],Products[Product ID]))
  3. Attribute Match = IF([New Product Attribute Value] = [Old Product Attribute Value], TRUE())
  4. Count Differences = COUNTROWS(FILTER('Product Attributes',[Attribute Match] <> TRUE()))

Firstly, is it the best approach to seperate the attributes into another table or is there a better way to count differences across columns without unpivoting the product table?

Secondly, if splitting is a resonable approach then why is the 'Count Differences' measure not producing the value I expect to see?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your product table is missing the category field.  Without that your mapping will be ambiguous.

Thanks for looking @lbendlin. The category isn't related to the product though, it's only really there to show that the product mapping isn't always 1 to 1. For example, a customer in Category A with Product 1 is mapped to Product 11 but a customer in Category B with the same product 1 is mapped to Product 21.

In my example I've filtered the page to display for a single row in the mapping table, so in that case should only be one value for each of the relationships of Old Product ID > Product ID and New Product ID > Product.

For example, a customer in Category A with Product 1 is mapped to Product 11 but a customer in Category B with the same product 1 is mapped to Product 21.

I consider that to be ambiguous.  I have not yet understood how such a situation should be handled. Random assignments?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.