Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alecsonline
Helper I
Helper I

Difficulties using VAR with a simple measure

Hi all,

I am having not the expected result with this:

this formula works:

booked =
var readingdatevar=[maxreadingdate]
return
CALCULATE(SUM(bookings[roomnumbers]);FILTER(booking[reservationdate]<readingdatevar))

I thought I could write the same this way:

booked =
var readingdatevar=[maxreadingdate]
var reserved= SUM(bookings[roomnumbers])
return
CALCULATE(reserved;FILTER(bookings;booking[reservationdate]<readingdatevar))

This second version is not working. I have no mistakes (powerBI accept the formula), but the resulting values are wrong e they do not change when the "readingdatevar" changes....

Any idea whiy?

Thank you all!

Alessandro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@alecsonline

VARIABLES are just a store of value. They do not store Expressions. So They are not dynamic like MEASURES

So Once you define a VARIABLE it is stored as a VALUE
So you are evaluating a fixed number when you are evaluating a VARIABLE

i.e. something like this

CALCULATE(150000;FILTER(bookings;booking[reservationdate]<readingdatevar))

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alecsonline

Could you please share a sample file with mentioned calculation. By looking formula its seems to be fine.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Yes sure, this is the table I take the data from (a simplified version). For each reservation there is one line for each day of stay; also reservation date is displaied.

1 more table for the reading dates that is a simple calendar; in fact I need to look at this data taking care of the reservation date, i.e. if looking at the "reading date" 15/07/2018 it should give me the total of the rooms that were already booked at that date.

The "date" column is linked to a simple calendar table; the "reservationdate" column is linked to the "reading dates" table.

The first formula gives me the desired results.

example.JPG

Tks!

@alecsonline

VARIABLES are just a store of value. They do not store Expressions. So They are not dynamic like MEASURES

So Once you define a VARIABLE it is stored as a VALUE
So you are evaluating a fixed number when you are evaluating a VARIABLE

i.e. something like this

CALCULATE(150000;FILTER(bookings;booking[reservationdate]<readingdatevar))

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Thank you Zubair, it was a concept I was completely missing! In the meanwhile I found this in an article about Variables: 

"Other Important Points: Each of the variables are evaluated once prior to the commencement of the RETURN portion of the formula."

That seems to be coincident with your as I would translate it with: anything you do BEFORE the "return" will be not modified later.

Thanks a lot!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alecsonline

With Your provided sample i have done the same calculation and in both way the are same.

Could you please see and revert me is that your requirement or something diffrent.

I am attaching pbix file too with name Booking.pbix

Thanks and Regards,

Ravi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Ravik for your gift! It is true it works, but not when I modify it for my needings... my fault because I would not even be able to write them in a clear way. But your way to use the VAR is very useful and it is really a great help!

Alessandro

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.