Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Different number formatting in same column

Hi PowerBI community,

I know that a column is designed to hold only one data type (and formatting) but wanted to share a use case with you and see if you had suggestions on how to tackle it.

I have a table following the below concept:

MetricYearValue

Profit

2018$20.5
Profit2019$30.6
Profit202040%
Efficiency201992.68%
Efficiency202095.78%
Volume201950000
Volume202060000

What I'd like to achieve is having a filter on the metric column and then display in a time series graph the relevant values formatted as per the data above (note some are $, some are %, with 2 or 1 decimal points). The formatting will not change by category (ie all efficiency values will be ##.##%).

I've tried two things but to no avail:

• a format function returning an error as I was mixing data types in the same column
  • creating as many columns as there are metrics and displaying them all (with blank when non relevant). This worked well but with over 20 metrics, the graph became unfortunately unusable due to the blank spaces.

Do any of you have a suggestion by any chance?

Thanks in advance.

OF

5 REPLIES 5
shreyanka_s2011

How to do conditional formatting for different number formatting in same column?

Example : A column has percetage value as well as number values, I want to color entire column with the condition if a value or percentage > 0 the "Green" else "Red"

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

You can use switch function with format functions to achieve dynamic number format on your visuals.
Notice: these value are converted to text type after format function applied. Current power bi does not support displaying multiple numeric formats in the same fields. You can try to submit an idea for this requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Dynamic formatting is allowed. You have format the number in the measure. But this will change data type text.

Refer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-custom-format-strings

harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a meaure

Measure =
VAR _selval =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Metric] )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        _selval = "Profit", FORMAT (
            SUM ( 'Table'[Values] ),
            "Currency"
        ),
        _selval = "Efficiency", FORMAT (
            SUM ( 'Table'[Values] ),
            "00%"
        ),
        _selval = "Profit", SUM ( 'Table'[Values] )
    )

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Different-format-in-Target-column/m-p/818394

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Harsh,

First off, thanks very much as I think I'm close to the solution with this. A couple of questions:

. what can I do in the measure for "everything else", ie if I want to control the formatting of 3 specific metrics but I'm ok for the rest to be displayed as they are and don't require further manipulating.

. the measure shows data correctly in a card but displays nothing on a bar chart, can you thin of any reason why?

. finally, what is the point of the last part of your formula?

Thanks a lot.

OF

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.