Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Different level of summary based on slicer value?

Hi Folks,

I am trying to achieve a requirement, I tried different ways but couldn't reach a solution.

Sample Report and File  attached 

Measure 1 = When I select an Item in Item slicer, I want to get the total of "QTY" of the "Item Line" which selected slicer values belong to.

For example when I select Item 1001 in slicer, it should get Sum(QTY) for all A1  "Item Line"  as 1001 belongs to A1  "Item Line" , in this example it should give 65. 

itsmebvamsi_0-1647219610487.png

A1  "Item Line"   Total itsmebvamsi_1-1647219610488.png

When I select 1008 it should give total B1 "Item Line" total(QTY) as 1008 belongs to B1 "Item Line" in this case it should give 190
itsmebvamsi_2-1647219610488.png

B1 "Item Line" itsmebvamsi_3-1647219610488.png

Measure 2 = When I select 1001 it should give Category A total , when I select 1009 it should give Category  B total

itsmebvamsi_4-1647219610488.png

A total should be 150 itsmebvamsi_5-1647219610488.png

itsmebvamsi_6-1647219610488.png

B total should be 385 itsmebvamsi_7-1647219610489.png

These measure should also change based on Date or any other slicer we have in the report..

Please suggest, Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@itsmebvk these measures will do it without using Item Line and Item Category  in the table visual

Item Line Total = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Fact'[QTY] ),  ALLEXCEPT( Dim, Dim[Item Line] ), VALUES ( Dim[Item Line] ) )

Item Category Total = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Fact'[QTY] ),  ALLEXCEPT( Dim, Dim[Category] ), VALUES ( Dim[Category] ) )

Here is the output if 1001 is selected.

parry2k_0-1647351290720.png

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
parry2k
Super User
Super User

Hey I am away from my desk. Check my video which came out today and it has a solution using remove filters and that will work, will keep the filter on date but will remove only from item.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@itsmebvk Glad to hear it worked out. As a matter of fact, I did a video on this and that will be out tomorrow (Wednesday, March 16th) and in that video, I went with two alternate solutions, using ALLEXCEPT and REMOVEFILTERS functions.

I will post the link to the video here once it is published. Do subscribe to my YT channel, if you haven't already, I usually make videos on real-time business problems or questions asked on the community forum. 

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Awesome good to hear that. Yes I already subscribed and following your LinkedIn page. Once again than you and awaiting for new video . 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@itsmebvk these measures will do it without using Item Line and Item Category  in the table visual

Item Line Total = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Fact'[QTY] ),  ALLEXCEPT( Dim, Dim[Item Line] ), VALUES ( Dim[Item Line] ) )

Item Category Total = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Fact'[QTY] ),  ALLEXCEPT( Dim, Dim[Category] ), VALUES ( Dim[Category] ) )

Here is the output if 1001 is selected.

parry2k_0-1647351290720.png

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@parry2k  Apologies.

I missed to test one more scenario. I also need to apply a filter on top of the date along with expression mentioned below. But it is returning the value for specific ITem_Line I selected for 😞

Item Line Total = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Fact'[QTY] ),  ALLEXCEPT( Sub Category,Dim, Dim[Item Line] ), VALUES ( Sub Category ) )

Item Line Total = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Fact'[QTY] ), filter(Date< Date(2020,01,01)), ALLEXCEPT( Sub Category,Dim, Dim[Item Line] ), VALUES ( Sub Category ) )

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@parry2k @lbendlin  Is there anyway we apply this Date(Column in The same Dim table) filter along with Allexcept on same Dim table?

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@parry2k  Awesome that really worked. Thanks alot for your inputs.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here is a starting point. Adjust as needed .

Parent Qty =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Fact'[QTY] ),
    ALL ( 'Fact' ),
    CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( 'Fact'[Item] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Dim, Dim[Item Line] )
)

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@lbendlin  Thank you so much for quick reply.

Yes, I already did this earlier and it is working at Item_Line level, but this approach is not working when you try to get summary for subcategory or Category it belongs to. is there anything I am missing?

You can use the same approach. The only thing you have to change is the ALLEXCEPT scope.

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@lbendlin  do you mean like this? it should be 30 instead 855, As I highlighted in screenshot I only want to show ITEM in table not Sub Category and Category. That's where the approach was not working . If I add Sub Category  or Category it works.

Sub Cat Total =
CALCULATE (
SUM ( 'Fact'[QTY] ),
ALL ( 'Fact' ),
CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( 'Fact'[Item] ), ALLEXCEPT(Dim,Dim[Sub Category] )))

itsmebvamsi_0-1647309878407.png

Not sure what you do different - it works for me.

lbendlin_0-1647348815340.png

pbix attached.

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@lbendlin really sorry if haven't mentioned that. It was not working because i dont want to Category or Sub Category in table. However your direction helped me alot . Thanks alot for your inputs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.