Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Different filters in one page

Hi!

I have one column with names of different departments from different countries. Example:

Finance Spain

SAP Germany

HR China

Product Germany

IT Germany

Legal Spain

Sales China

What I did so far, is that I created one slicer for that column, so that when I select one department or two, all the dashboards of that page change accordingly. Till here everything Okay.

However, right now is very confusing, because as I said, all the departments of all the countries are in this slicer and they are much more as the ones in the example. How could I do to group them per country and create clear and nice filters for such a purpose?

I tried to create three slicers (one for each country), but it is very messy and it does not work, because the slicers are affected among each other, i.e, when I select something in one of them, the other too slicers change too...., so it makes no sense.

How could I do to clearly be able to select country departments in a clear way (i.e., not all of them mixed in one slicer)????

One for Spain, one for china one for Germany...?

Thanks so much,

JFB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

As said before, you can split your column into two, one for the department and one for the country, what I would do after that, is create a hierarchy : Country - Department, and use this hierarchy in a slicer, that way, in you slicer, the use will choose a country and then he'll have its departments on a sub-level. I think it's better than creating two slicers and syncing them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

As said before, you can split your column into two, one for the department and one for the country, what I would do after that, is create a hierarchy : Country - Department, and use this hierarchy in a slicer, that way, in you slicer, the use will choose a country and then he'll have its departments on a sub-level. I think it's better than creating two slicers and syncing them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hii,

thanks so much. This still does not tell me how I can apply different slicers in the same page, regarding the same information (departments) but potentially grouped for the different countries (one per country) and that although they might come from the same column (or different ones if i filter) they are not related eachother, and therefore, if I make a change in one, the whole page dashboards change accordinggly, but the other slicers stay static.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@S_JB , Split the column in power query, you will get department and country 

https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

This is easier than using the extract functionality, many thanks!

S_JB
Resolver III
Resolver III

In Power BI desktop go to Transform Data. Duplicate the column that contains the department and countries.

Select the column you have just created, then go to the transform tab and select extract. Here you have a number of options. Based on the example above, you could select text after delimiter and enter a space and press ok. This should create a field with country only.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.