Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mowlana
Frequent Visitor

Different data sources with the same visualisation in one page

Imagine, you have two Exel files with same columns.

Is it possible in Power BI to have one page with some charts, but you can select that the charts with which excel file should be filled.

I appreciate really any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If i read you correctly, you want an easy way to point to a different environment but with identical schema, such as repoint a report from dev to UAT to Production data sources.

There is no dropdown, but the dropdown under the "Edit Queries" button allows editing of data sources. In here you can change various parameters, depending on what options the source allows you to alter.

its also possible to use a parameter to change connection, which may help provide what you require, have a look at this article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Using-the-Power-BI-Service-Parameters-to-change-conn...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @mowlana,

but you can select that the charts with which excel file should be filled.

I'm a little confused about this sentence. 

From I understand that you have two excel tables with the same columns and what do you want to do in one page?

If it convenient, could you share some data sample and your desired output?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft,

sorry, i wrote it a little bit unclear. I actually mean if it is possible to change datasource within Power BI just as a dropdown menu?

Hi @mowlana,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If i read you correctly, you want an easy way to point to a different environment but with identical schema, such as repoint a report from dev to UAT to Production data sources.

There is no dropdown, but the dropdown under the "Edit Queries" button allows editing of data sources. In here you can change various parameters, depending on what options the source allows you to alter.

its also possible to use a parameter to change connection, which may help provide what you require, have a look at this article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Using-the-Power-BI-Service-Parameters-to-change-conn...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @wilson_smyth Chaning connection server name via parameter is achived using parameter but Since my Schema name is not identical in UAT and Live I want to change Schema name too at once. Is this doable? 

Please see my original post here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Schema-change-to-multiple-queries-SAP-hana-and-Direct-query...

Note: I am using SAP HANA with Direct query.

Thanks,

Kul

@Anonymous 

The report depends on the underlying schema. If its looking for a TableA.ColumnA, but this doesnt exist after you point to a new environment, the report will break.

There are probably ways to work around this in some cases, but its not recommended. reports really need a stable schema.

if the only thing that changes are columns or tables that you are not using, then you should have no problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @wilson_smyth in my case Schema name and server name are different but the columns are identical in the table. Only thing change is data (rows). One server+schema having less data but another having more data. 

on my UAT environment i am using a PowerBifile1 with Server1+schema1. But, 

on my Prodcution environment i am using same PowerBifile1 with server2+schema2

What I am able to do is change the Server1/2 name using parameters. But I am also looking for solution that change schema name as well some how.

I use function to get data not direct tables. please see example below how my query looks like:

SELECT * FROM "SCHEMA1"."FN_Name"();

Note: Currently I open my powerbi file and change the schema manuly that is lot of effort if i have suppose 100 tables.

in that case, when you mean database schema used to organize objects and for security, yes, that can be parameterized, i.e. create a parameter and reference it in your power query.

there are some details in this post on the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wilson_smyth I think I was making it complicated by mentioning schema change. What i simply want is to pass parameter in to my query. Is this make sense?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors