Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mitschke
Regular Visitor

Different Visuals for specific users from the same dataset

Hello,

I managed to filter the reports for specific user with RLS.
Also i added a field for Admins, so that they can see all data.

That works fine, but how can it be done, that fields in this report, or other visuals ar only visible for the Admins?
I don´t find a way. (I know with RLS you can filter also Measures but they are still visible)

And when this is not possible, how can I set up a new Group in BI for the Admins, where they can see the other fields and visuals, but with the same underlying dataset?

I don´t want to have 2 similar datasets, as they are updated by the gateway, and there are many more datasets to come.

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mitschke 

You could configure RLS for the dataset both in Power BI Desktop and Service.

Row-Level Security in Power BI: Part 1 – Roles and Users

Then you need publish the same dataset and report to two App workspaces.

In one App workspace, you are owner, let users to have edit permission, so RLS don't work for them, they can see all data.

In another App workspace, you are owner, let users to have view permission, so RLS works for them, they can see limited data.

As for details or more visuals from one page or one visual, you could consider drillthrough or bookmark feature.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

These two articles can explain how to achieve what you are looking for far better than I can. Hope they help!

Dynamic RLS via Hierarchy in Power BI

http://angryanalyticsblog.azurewebsites.net/index.php/2016/12/27/dynamic-rls-via-hierarchy-in-power-...

Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet

https://www.kasperonbi.com/power-bi-desktop-dynamic-security-cheat-sheet/

Thanks for your reply, doobie.

But that´s not my problem. I already managed to filter the data how I want, my problem ist that some users should see more information, they should see more fields, tables, graphs or even more sheets than others.
So that I´m not forced to make a 2nd app with a 2nd dataset (which would be the same).
I hope this clarifies my problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.