Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Differences between Query Editor and Data View

Hi Everyone,

I have a doubt and I'm going to explain it with an example.

I can create a new column in a table at the Query Editor and I can create the same column at the Data View.

What is the difference between made tasks in once or another?
What is the best practice?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I can model the data in Query Editor and also clean, shape and transform the data in Data View.

Yes, we can do that. However, it is a good practise to use the right tool for the right job to keep efficient. Right? Smiley Happy

Please refer to this article to understand how Power Query(Query Editor) and Power Pivot(Data View) work together.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Usually, we use Query Editor to clean, shape and transform the data from a data source for getting data. Then use DAX in Data View to model the imported data and define calculations for analytics. Finally we can built the report with the modeled data in Power BI.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-ljerr-msft,

The question is what is the best way and why?

You tell me that "we use Query Editor to clean, shape and transform the data from a data source for getting data. Then use DAX in Data View to model the imported data and define calculations for analytics. "

but...

I can model the data in Query Editor and also clean, shape and transform the data in Data View.

Don't you?

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, we can do that. However, it is a good practise to use the right tool for the right job to keep efficient. Right? Smiley Happy

Please refer to this article to understand how Power Query(Query Editor) and Power Pivot(Data View) work together.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK @v-ljerr-msft,

It´s a great answer: "the right tool for the right job..."
I will keep in mind.

Thanks for the reference to the article,

Regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.