Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GerardoRam

Difference while grouping

So here's the thing, I'm creating a calculated table grouped by two other columms (Date and TruckID) from my original table. 

Auxiliar Camiones = CALCULATETABLE(GROUPBY(indice;Indice[TruckID];Indice[Date];"QTY";SUMX(CURRENTGROUP();Indice[QTY])))

Original (Indice):                                                                        NewTable (Auxiliar Camiones):

Date              |  TruckID      |  QTY    |   Line                                Date         | TruckID | QTY 

01/01/17       |  C140         | 200      |  1                                      01/01/17  | C140     | 310

01/01/17       |  C140         | 30        |  2                                      01/02/17  | C120     | 100

01/01/17       |  C140         | 80        |  3                                      01/03/17  | C140     | 180

01/02/17       |  C120         | 100      |  1                                      01/03/17  | C133     | 90

01/03/17       |  C140         | 100      |  1                                      

01/03/17       |  C140         |  80       |  2                                      

01/03/17       |  C133         |  90       |  1

From this new table I'm creating a measure: 

QTY_TRUCKS = DISTINCTCOUNT(TruckID)

Dates table new column from calculated table:

QTY_TRUCKS_DAY2 = [QTY_TRUCKS]

And after that I did a new column from this QTY_TRUCKS  in a related dates table in order to graph the average of trucks in each month.

Later I figured out that I could do the same thing but from the original table (creating a measure for the truck id and creating a new column in the related dates table).

Original table measure:

N°Trucks = DISTINCTCOUNT(Indice[TruckID])

Dates table new column from original table:

QTY_TRUCKS_DAY = [N°Trucks]

When comparing these two graphics I noticed that the one made from the calculated table has less trucks than the one from the original table. The question is , where could be the "error" that's generating those differences in number of trucks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @GerardoRam,

I didso in order to make the monthly average of the number of trucks per day. I didn’t want to have the days in the X axis because the dataset is from a whole year and if I had the month name place in that axis, that measure would get me the number of different trucks used in the whole month.

In this scenario, you should be able to just create a single measure to sum the number of trucks each day. Smiley Happy

Measure = SUMX ( DateTable, DISTINCTCOUNT ( Indice[TruckID] ) )

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @GerardoRam,

One question just to understand all you set up why are you placing a new columnon your Dates table based on the measure you had? If you use the measure in your charts and the date table for axis this should work:

measure.png

Measures are created to take into account the context of the visual it's in so no need to turn it into a column.

Also made the setup with the auxiliary table as you refer and the graphs is exaclty the same.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

I didso in order to make the monthly average of the number of trucks per day. I didn’t want to have the days in the X axis because the dataset is from a whole year and if I had the month name place in that axis, that measure would get me the number of different trucks used in the whole month.

I don’t really know where the difference could be, but when I looked at the tables (auxiliary and original), I had differences of 1-3 trucks for the same date (the auxiliary had less).
I’ll put some pictures later on today.

Hi @GerardoRam,

In this scenario, you should be able to just create a single measure to sum the number of trucks each day. Smiley Happy

Measure = SUMX ( DateTable, DISTINCTCOUNT ( Indice[TruckID] ) )

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.