Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bw70316
Helper V
Helper V

Difference of Revenue on Month to Month Basis

I have looked into this with LASTMONTH and DATEBETWEEN and have had no luck. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I have a Master Date table connected to my Revenue Table which includes Revenue Received Dates. I am trying to display the data in a matrix, but naturally I don't want them to add onto one another. Instead, I would like to see the month's total for each row. I feel like I can do this with a Calculate(SUM('Rev'Revenues Rec),'Rev Item'='July' and do the same for August and subtract the two for each month, but that seems ridiculous. Below is an example of my rev rec:

July: $1,959,814

August: $3,925,980
September: $5,855,582
October: $7,910,275

November: $9,155,231

TOTAL:$28,806,885

I would like the total to be the November number of 9,155,231 instead of the addition. Thanks for any help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bw70316,

Based on my test, you could refer to below steps:

Sample data:

1.PNG

Create below calculated columns:

Index = RANKX('Table1','Table1'[Value],,ASC,Dense)
Value_ = var a=Table1[Index]-1
return [Value]-CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Index]=a))

Result:

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Seems like there are multiple issues here but I can't exactly say what they are from the information given. However, seems like you could make use of:

See if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

For the difference of revenue on a month-to-month basis

For measure totals. See my post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

If none of that helps, please re-state the issue and refer to: Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks, you certainly have given me a lot to look into. What I am looking for is some like this:

July: $1,959,814
August: $3,925,980
September: $5,855,582$5,855,582
October: $7,910,275
November:$9,155,231

To be something like this:

July: $1,959,814
August: $1,966,166
September: $5,855,582$1,929,602
October: $2,054,693
November:$1,244,956

A colleague of my mine suggest summarize tables. I am going to look into that. I do think this is a possible solution but might be a bit of overkill for what I am looking for. 

Hi @bw70316,

Based on my test, you could refer to below steps:

Sample data:

1.PNG

Create below calculated columns:

Index = RANKX('Table1','Table1'[Value],,ASC,Dense)
Value_ = var a=Table1[Index]-1
return [Value]-CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Index]=a))

Result:

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

First off, thanks for replying with your potential solution. Unfortunately, I did not get the desired result completely. This what I got:

Rev.png

How do I get the difference from month to month to demo the actual amount spent? Please ignore the fact the values are different, I added another filter. This was the equation I used for Value:

var a = 'Expenses'[Index]-1
return 'Expenses'[Expensed]-CALCULATE(SUM('Expenses'[Expensed]),FILTER('Expenses','Expenses'[Expensed]=a))

And this is the one I used for Index:

Index = RANKX('Expenses','Expenses'[Expensed],,ASC,Dense)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.