Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference filter instead of calculating differences

I recognize the value of the calculate formula, but am wondering if there's an optimal way to calculate the difference based on specific filtering critera for a data column and then dynamically display this 'filtering difference' methodolology for many other data columns. 

As an example, each of my data columns includes rows of data with 'Current Forecast' and 'Prior Forecast' detail.  I would like to have predefined 'Current Forecast vs. Prior Forecast' and 'Current Forecast vs. Plan' measures that can calculate this difference based on the data column(s) that I choose to display (such as Ratio 1) in my Power BI visuals.  I would never need to calculate differences horizontally from 2 data columns (such as ratio 1 vs ratio 2).  Below is a sample screenshot of the data structure that envision. 

Based on my understanding and use of the the calculate formula, the basic formula locks you into a data column the you specify, and therefore I would need to create 6 different calculate measures just to display Current Forecast vs Prior Forecast for the 3 Ratios and 3 Stat data columns.

SampleData.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Zach,

I found a new solution without changing your data structure. Please download the demo in the attachment. 

1. Create a new table. 

Items	               No.
Widget Margin	        1
Widget Waste	        2
Survey Satisfaction	3
Widgets Produced	4
Meetings	        5
Calls	                6

2. Create two measures.

Current Forecast vs. Prior Forecast New =
SWITCH (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table3'[No.] ),
    1, CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Table2[Widget Margin] ),
        Table2[Scenario] = "Current Forecast"
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widget Margin] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast" ),
    2, CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Table2[Widget Waste] ),
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widget Waste] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast" ),
    3, CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Table2[Survey Satisfaction] ),
    )
        - CALCULATE (
            Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast"
        ),
    4, CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Table2[Widgets Produced] ),
    )
        - CALCULATE (
        ),
    5, CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Meetings] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Current Forecast" )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Meetings] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast" ),
    6, CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Calls] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Current Forecast" )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Calls] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast" ),
)
Forecast vs. Plan New =
SWITCH (
    1, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widget Margin] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
    2, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widget Waste] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
    3, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Survey Satisfaction] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
    4, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widgets Produced] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
    5, CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Meetings] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Current Forecast" )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Meetings] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Calls] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
)

3. Now you can format the old table as you wish.

Difference-filter-instead-of-calculating-differences2

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have approximately 50 columns of unique factual data and am wondering if there's a way to create variance calculations that can be used across each of these columns.  The variance calculations would be created based off of the dimensional attributes such as Current Forecast versus Prior Forecast, or Business A vs Businss.

SampleData.png

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you share a sample of the ORIGINAL data, please?

1. What are the 3 Ratios and 3 Stat? Are they columns or measures?

2. What's the expected result?

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for your questions. I'm not able to share the original data, but below is fake data to better visualize the question. As you can see, the 6 data columns (3 ratios and 3 stat) are each unique. My Goal is to have 1 calculation 'Current Forecast vs. Prior Forecast' that I can use across all 6 columns, while being able to filter on the month or business (Bus. A or Bus. B). I would like a second calculation to display Current Forecast vs. Plan.

SampleData-1.png

Hi @Anonymous,

I would suggest you transform the data structure that makes the calculation easily. Please download the demo in the attachment.

Current Forecast vs. Prior Forecast =
SUM ( Table1[Current Forecast] ) - SUM ( Table1[Prior Forecast] )
Forecast vs. Plan = sum(Table1[Current Forecast]) - sum(Table1[Plan])

Difference-filter-instead-of-calculating-differences

Best Regards,
Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thank you for your feedback.  As one follow-up to your solution, do you have any recommendations if I wanted to display 'Widget Margin' and 'Widget Waste' as a percent?  It's my understanding that the data for these attributes would have to be reflected in separate data columns if I wanted to display them as at a % instead of the decimals that you've defined for these 3 data columns.  My goal is to limit the number of variance columns that are created, but have the flexibility to display certain attributes as different data types (such as %'s).

Thanks,

Zach

Hi Zach,

I found a new solution without changing your data structure. Please download the demo in the attachment. 

1. Create a new table. 

Items	               No.
Widget Margin	        1
Widget Waste	        2
Survey Satisfaction	3
Widgets Produced	4
Meetings	        5
Calls	                6

2. Create two measures.

Current Forecast vs. Prior Forecast New =
SWITCH (
    1, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widget Margin] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast" ),
    2, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widget Waste] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast" ),
    3, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE (
        ),
    4, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE (
        ),
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Meetings] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast" ),
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Calls] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Prior Forecast" ),
)
Forecast vs. Plan New =
SWITCH (
    1, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widget Margin] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
    2, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widget Waste] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
    3, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Survey Satisfaction] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
    4, CALCULATE (
    )
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Widgets Produced] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Meetings] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
        - CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Calls] ), Table2[Scenario] = "Plan" ),
)

3. Now you can format the old table as you wish.

Difference-filter-instead-of-calculating-differences2

Best Regards,
Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.