Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ewuchatka
Helper II
Helper II

Difference between two years - how to calculate?

Hello

I have the data organised in the following way:

Year                      Department      Team          Expenses       Total budget

2015                      A                       CVB            678                800

2014 before cut    A                        POK            908               1009

2014 after cut       B                        BNM           800                990

I would like to be able to calculate:

Year difference (for example 2015 minus 2014 after cut) for expenses and then for the total (I imagine these will be two separate measures)

I hope the calculation will work when I filter team or department.

I would like to be able to show in the table or a card a difference. 

Any ideas? I am new to DAX and don't know where to start

Thanks

Ewa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkS
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

For the data as shown I would calculate the total expenses first with these measures

2015 Expenses = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Expenses]),'Table1'[Year]="2015")

2014 Expenses after cut = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Expenses]),'Table1'[Year]="2014 after cut")

The difference measure would then be

2015 less 2014 ac = [2015 Expenses]-[2014 Expenses after cut]

and for only department A

A only = CALCULATE([2015 less 2014 ac],FILTER('Table1',[Department]="A"))

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MarkS
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

For the data as shown I would calculate the total expenses first with these measures

2015 Expenses = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Expenses]),'Table1'[Year]="2015")

2014 Expenses after cut = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Expenses]),'Table1'[Year]="2014 after cut")

The difference measure would then be

2015 less 2014 ac = [2015 Expenses]-[2014 Expenses after cut]

and for only department A

A only = CALCULATE([2015 less 2014 ac],FILTER('Table1',[Department]="A"))

Thank you @MarkS!! This is what I need 🙂

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ewuchatka,

I would first suggest that you create a date table, and map your data to the date table. This will make it a lot easier to do date calculations in DAX.

You can use this blog post do create the date table Power BI – How to Easily Create Dynamic Date Table/Dimension with Fiscal Attributes using Power Quer...

Then I would suggest you seperate out the "Before Cut" and "After Cut" into a new column.

What that will do, is then allow you to create a calculated measure with a filter based on the details above.

EG:

Before Cut = CALCULATE(sum('TableName'[Expenses]),Filter('TableName','TableName'[ColumnName] = "Before Cut"))

And you could then do the same for the "After Cut"

In terms of doing the Year Calculations you can reference the following links for more information:

DAX Patterns - Time Intelligence

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ewuchatka,

You want to create a measure to calculate 678-800=-122, right? Then you calculate total for what? Based on your description, I am unable to reproduce your scenario. Please post more years' data and list expected result, so I can create DAX formulas clearly.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks @v-huizhn-msft

What I am trying to do is (I think and I hope) simple :). Sum of something minut Sum of something else. Sorry, my use of the total was probably confusing.

I would like to be able to build two calculations:

1. General calculation:

The total(sum) of 2015 (Expenses) MINUS the total (sum) of 2014 after cut (Expenses).

When you look at the below data, this should be 1640 - 1460 = 180 (when data not filtered) . However,  hope that this calculation will work when I use a slicer and I, for example filter (slicer) on the department.

2. Create a calculation so that is specific to the Department so it always calculates a department.

The total(sum) of 2015 (Expenses) of (Department A) MINUS the total (sum) of 2014 after cut (Expenses) of (Department A).

820-680=140

I hope this makes sense now. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Year

DepartmentTeamExpensesTotal budget
2015ACBV6001000
2014 after cutACBV500900
2014 before cutACBV650850
2015ARFG220300
2014 after cutAFG180250
2014 before cutAYHB200280
2015BMNB8201200
2014 after cutBLOP7801010
2014 before cutBPLK8001000

@GilbertQ, thanks for your help. I am not entirely sure if I understand your approah as I am quite new to Power BI - what is the data table What is the rationale? Can youc advise if this helps with the above?

Hi @ewuchatka

Apologies for not knowing that you are still new to Power BI.

Here is a great blog post by Reza Rad explaining why having a date table is good practise and how to leverage it?

http://radacad.com/secret-of-time-intelligence-functions-in-power-bi 

I hope that this helps.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hello

Thanks @GilbertQ

It looks interesting and certainly I will have a read. Power BI/DAX are very new to me so I haven't explored much of it but I'm looking forward to this. It's not clear to me how this could help me with what I am trying to do.

Kind regards

Ewa

ewuchatka
Helper II
Helper II

Anyone? 🙂 Please help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.