Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference between power bi report builder vs power bi desktop

Hello,

sorry if this was asked already, but honestly i didnt see anything on google, so i decided to ask the stupid question, what is the difference between power bi report builder vs power bi desktop?

i mean, power bi report builder build reports such as getting widgets etc., doesnt power bi desktop do that as well including getting or creating datasets and datasources?

thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Well, a question, what is the difference between Power Bi Desktop & Power Bi Desktop Report Server?

is that I try to open a report that I have made in Power Bi Desktop, and when I open it with Power Bi Desktop RS, I get an error to open the document.

Thank you for your help

GainPBIKnowHow
Frequent Visitor

Hi Anonymous,

to me it looks like the main difference is that Power BI Report Builder is a tool dedicated for authoring paginated reports that you can publish to the Power BI service. 

Documentation:
Power BI Report Builder - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Get started with Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Refer, if this can help

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/POwer-BI-vs-Report-builder-and-reporting-services/td-p/8614...

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you amitchandak,

from what i am reading in the thread/URL, its comparing SSRS Report builder and Power BI desktop, but maybe the Power BI Report builder is the same as SSRS Report builder?

that is what is confusing to me. 

if there is any other additional information you come across let me know.

thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.