Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference between Sharepoint list vs. Sharepoint Online List vs. Sharepoint Folder

Hi Expert,

Difference between Sharepoint list vs. Sharepoint Online List vs. Sharepoint Folder. Please explain to me with some examples for better understanding

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

First, Sharepoint List and Sharepoint folder are used for different usage, a sharepoint list connector is used to get data from sharepoint list, the list is a collection of data that you can share with team members, this is a dataset. While Sharepoint folder is used to connect to the files stored in Sharepoint.

For example, if I want to import an Excel file stored in Sharepoint, I will need to use the Sharepoint folder, if I want to import the list in Sharepoint, I will use the Sharepoint list.

The difference between Sharepoint List and Online List is that the online list connector can only be used to connect to Sharepoint Online, but Sharepoint List can be used in both Sharepoint Online and on-premise Sharepoint.

Best Regards,

Teige

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Anonymous,

Consider using SharePoint List/ Online List, if you are interested in the below data from the SharePoint site, 

(for difference between the above two, refer to what @TeigeGao explained)

SharePoint List Connector Example.png

But, in case, you want to import binary and flat file(s) (such as Excel, txt, csv etc. )stored in SharePoint folder, then you should use the SharePoint Folder connector.

TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

First, Sharepoint List and Sharepoint folder are used for different usage, a sharepoint list connector is used to get data from sharepoint list, the list is a collection of data that you can share with team members, this is a dataset. While Sharepoint folder is used to connect to the files stored in Sharepoint.

For example, if I want to import an Excel file stored in Sharepoint, I will need to use the Sharepoint folder, if I want to import the list in Sharepoint, I will use the Sharepoint list.

The difference between Sharepoint List and Online List is that the online list connector can only be used to connect to Sharepoint Online, but Sharepoint List can be used in both Sharepoint Online and on-premise Sharepoint.

Best Regards,

Teige

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.