Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SQLbyoBI
Advocate I
Advocate I

Difference between SQL Server Analysis Services database vs Azure Analysis Services database (Beta)?

Just noticed the "Azure Analysis Services database (Beta)" option in GetData and wondering if there is any current (or planned) benefit to using that option over the more common "SQL Server Analysis Services database"...

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@SQLbyoBI,

Azure Analysis Services is compatible with many great features already in SQL Server Analysis Services Enterprise Edition. Azure Analysis Services supports tabular models at the 1200 and 1400 compatibility levels. You can review the following article to get more details about Azure Analysis Services.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-overview

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft - my (poorly worded) question pertains to the capabilities between the SSAS vs Azure AS "connectors"... in the screenshot there are 2 connectors - both can be used to connect to an Azure AS instance. Does it matter which one I use? What's teh difference? 

I think that it is similar to SharePoint List versus SharePoint Online List or SQL Database vs. Azure SQL Database. My impression of these is that they exist for a reason and are not just the same thing packaged under two different names. This may or may not be true. Do I know specifically what the underlying differences are? No, but I assume that the Azure/cloud based ones are optimized for those data sources in some way, shape or manner.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The Azure one is for when you are using the Azure Analysis Services service in Azure instead of a Analysis Services on a SQL Server machine.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler ... from basic testing, both connectors can be used to connect to Azure Analysis Services. My question (which may have been poorly wordered in retrospect) is if there is anything to gain using the AzureAS-specific (Beta/Preview) connector when connecting to an Azure AS instance...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.