Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MaadiKemko
Frequent Visitor

Difference between Reference and Duplicate

Hi All,

I am a newbie in Power Bi. Can anyone explaine me

what is the actual Difference between Reference and Duplicate of a table. 

Please see the below image.

Thanks in Advance,

Maadi.

Reference & DuplicateReference & Duplicate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

In simple terms, Duplicate will duplicate the code of the query while Query Reference will only refer the result of the query.

Duplicate is generally used when you would like to create a similar query and you do not want to type the same code. You can make changes to this query.

Reference in Query means you would like to use that Query results in some other queries where your original query remains as a base Query and it can be used in other queries for the further processing. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
shzyincu
Helper I
Helper I

For an example if you need to filter same data set to create seperate tiles, like if you want to pick only today date figures or any date sequence. you can use the same query as a base and refrenec it rather than duplicating the query.

Although both can be used for the same purpose, but REFRENCING the same dataset is an eligent approach...

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

In simple terms, Duplicate will duplicate the code of the query while Query Reference will only refer the result of the query.

Duplicate is generally used when you would like to create a similar query and you do not want to type the same code. You can make changes to this query.

Reference in Query means you would like to use that Query results in some other queries where your original query remains as a base Query and it can be used in other queries for the further processing. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

2016....... but for me the right and simple answer. Thanks

Hi,

What about performane differnces between the 2 methods?

Thanks

Well i believe the Duplication does impact as creating another OBJECT in the memory, where as referencing does not.

But it DOES create another object, doesn't it? When I have 10 queries that reference query A, then refreshing the dataset results in loading query A 10 times. Or at least that's what is shown in the loading window. Any idea how to avoid loading the data 10 times?

If you need 10 copies of your table (by some reason) you can always do this at DAX level by:

copy1=originalTable
copy2=originaltable
etc...

If you first need to manipulate the table you can do this using any filter functions in DAX, e.g.

copy1=calculatetable(originalTable, column1="filterValue1"
copy2=calculatetable(originalTable, column1="filterValue2"
etc...

Thank you Bhavesh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors