Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference between Import and Connect live a SQL Server analysis Services

After setting up my ETL, now I'm preparing the reporting phase. I want to know the diffrence between Import and Connect live a SQL Server analysis Services database methods knowing that I'll be working with measures.

In my example : I need to create a measure which count the emails with failed status by department.

I have (after importing the cube) :

• Fact Mailing Count
  • Mail Status Dimension
  • Message Template Dimension (having the application name which is the same name of the department)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your first question: >>I want to know the difference between Import and Connect live a SQL Server analysis Services database methods knowing that I'll be working with measures.   There are some difference between Import mode and Connect live mode.

Import mode:

Data import can be used against any data source type, it can combining Data from different sources. Current Power BI service limitation published file size is 1 GB.

When using import, data are stored in Power BI file/service. Therefore, there is no need to setup permissions on data source side (service account for load is enough) and you can share data publically or with people outside organization. On the other hand, all data are stored on Power BI. It is supported to implement full DAX expressions and full Power Query transformations.

Connect live mode:

There are more limitations for live connection in place. It doesn’t work against all data sources. Current list can be seen here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/#live-connections-and-directq..., it cannot combine data from multiple sources.

You are also limited to just one data source/database you selected. You can’t combine data from multiple data sources anymore. If you are connected to SQL Database, you can still create logical relationships between objects from that database as well as measures and calculated columns. When you are connected to SQL Server Analysis Services, you are limited just to report layout and even can’t make calculated columns ,while you can only create measures currently. When using live connection, users have to have access to underlying data source. This means you can’t share outside of your organization or publically. And It is not supported to implement full DAX expressions, only Report Level Measures, to learn more about report level measures, watch this great video from Patrick, and there is no Power Query transformations.

You can learn more: https://radacad.com/directquery-live-connection-or-import-data-tough-decision.

Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

For your second question: >>I need to create a measure which count the emails with failed status by department. You can try to create measure like DAX below.

Meaure1 = CALCULATE(COUNT([emails]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[department]=MAX(Table1[department])&&Table1[status]="failed"))

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your first question: >>I want to know the difference between Import and Connect live a SQL Server analysis Services database methods knowing that I'll be working with measures.   There are some difference between Import mode and Connect live mode.

Import mode:

Data import can be used against any data source type, it can combining Data from different sources. Current Power BI service limitation published file size is 1 GB.

When using import, data are stored in Power BI file/service. Therefore, there is no need to setup permissions on data source side (service account for load is enough) and you can share data publically or with people outside organization. On the other hand, all data are stored on Power BI. It is supported to implement full DAX expressions and full Power Query transformations.

Connect live mode:

There are more limitations for live connection in place. It doesn’t work against all data sources. Current list can be seen here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/#live-connections-and-directq..., it cannot combine data from multiple sources.

You are also limited to just one data source/database you selected. You can’t combine data from multiple data sources anymore. If you are connected to SQL Database, you can still create logical relationships between objects from that database as well as measures and calculated columns. When you are connected to SQL Server Analysis Services, you are limited just to report layout and even can’t make calculated columns ,while you can only create measures currently. When using live connection, users have to have access to underlying data source. This means you can’t share outside of your organization or publically. And It is not supported to implement full DAX expressions, only Report Level Measures, to learn more about report level measures, watch this great video from Patrick, and there is no Power Query transformations.

You can learn more: https://radacad.com/directquery-live-connection-or-import-data-tough-decision.

Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

For your second question: >>I need to create a measure which count the emails with failed status by department. You can try to create measure like DAX below.

Meaure1 = CALCULATE(COUNT([emails]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[department]=MAX(Table1[department])&&Table1[status]="failed"))

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

very informative!!!. I have been having issues with live connection as it has limited functionalities like no creation of new columns and "What If" parameter is disabled. Also, we had concerns about publishing dashboards publicly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.