Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Boycie92
Resolver I
Resolver I

Difference between 2 columns in a Matrix Table - DAX Help ASAP

Hi all,

I have a problem that @Vvelardeand @v-shex-msft have been helping me with. They have done such a great job, however I have encountered an issue I need to fix it ASAP.

They have helped me devise a solution that will allow me to compare the Headcount of my company from month to month using a matrix table.

The model:

• Monthly reports are generated and stored in a folder. Power BI has connected to the folder and has merged the data together.
  • Each report has a Date column. So for example 1/1/2017 would be assigned to every record within that one monthly report.
  • The data is not aggregated into summery tables I am working from actual records

From the help previously given the following formulas were:

Columns

1. Headcount
  2. Month = [Date].[MonthNo]

Measures:

1. MinMonth = MINX(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3[Month]),[Month])
  2. MaxMonth = MAXX(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3[Month]),[Month])
  3. maxRowCount = COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth]))
  4. minRowCount = COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth]))
  5. MinMonthHC = var temp= LASTNONBLANK(Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Department]) var resultMax= SUMX(FILTER(Sheet3,Sheet3[Department]=temp&&[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth]),Sheet3[Headcount]) var resultMin=SUMX(FILTER(Sheet3,Sheet3[Department]=temp&&[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth]),Sheet3[Headcount]) var currMinCount=COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),AND([Department]=temp,[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth]))) var currMaxCount=COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),AND([Department]=temp,[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth]))) return if(AND([minRowCount]=[maxRowCount],[maxRowCount]=COUNTAX(VALUES(Sheet3[Department]),[Department]))||AND(currMinCount=currMaxCount,currMaxCount=1),resultMin,if(currMinCount=0,0,resultMin))
  6. MaxMonthHC = var temp= LASTNONBLANK(Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Department]) var resultMax= SUMX(FILTER(Sheet3,Sheet3[Department]=temp&&[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth]),Sheet3[Headcount]) var resultMin=SUMX(FILTER(Sheet3,Sheet3[Department]=temp&&[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth]),Sheet3[Headcount]) var currMinCount=COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),AND([Department]=temp,[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth]))) var currMaxCount=COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),AND([Department]=temp,[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth]))) return if(AND([minRowCount]=[maxRowCount],[maxRowCount]=COUNTAX(VALUES(Sheet3[Department]),[Department]))||AND(currMinCount=currMaxCount,currMaxCount=1),resultMax,if(currMaxCount=0,0,resultMax))
  7. Diff = [MaxMonthHC]-[MinMonthHC]

The problem I have is when trying to compare the for December 2016 and January 2017

I need this formulas altered to allow for a comparison between December and January. As the formulas rely on Month number then logically the output is correct. That January (1) is the MInMonthHC and that December is the MaxMonthHC (12). I need a way to swap this reasoning only for this instance. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You can see the original post and more info : http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Difference-between-2-columns-in-a-Matrix-Table/td-p/81614

Thanks,

Boycie92

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all,

In case anyone has a similar issue. there is a pretty simple fix. Instead of Using Month.No I should have used [Date].[Date] in all of the formulas.

I apologies for wasting all of your time on this.

Thanks,

Boycie92

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors