cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Difference betweeen Power BI desktop and Power BI service for development?

does anyone know what functionality is not available in the power  bi service if you develop dashboards there vs doing it in the desktop?

ta

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.
Proud a to be a Datanaut!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Difference betweeen Power BI desktop and Power BI service for development?

Hi @vanessafvg

Bascially, you need to know "dashboard" in Service means a single page while in Desktop, there is no "dashboard" but reports which can have many single pages. Of course, there are reports in Service.

Here is a reference about basic concepts in Service.

When you create a report or a dashboard directly from Service, you can't clean and model your data to change the data structure to fit your requirements to create proper visuals.

Like Greg_Deckler's answer, you can't use Power Query and DAX langulage, can't manage tables' relationship,ect.

Best Regards

Maggie

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

You have no access to do anything with the data model in the Service. You cannot create measures, custom columns, relationships, etc.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @vanessafvg

Bascially, you need to know "dashboard" in Service means a single page while in Desktop, there is no "dashboard" but reports which can have many single pages. Of course, there are reports in Service.

Here is a reference about basic concepts in Service.

When you create a report or a dashboard directly from Service, you can't clean and model your data to change the data structure to fit your requirements to create proper visuals.

Like Greg_Deckler's answer, you can't use Power Query and DAX langulage, can't manage tables' relationship,ect.

Best Regards

Maggie

Super User
Super User

@Greg_Deckler @v-juanli-msft thank you Smiley Happy

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.
Proud a to be a Datanaut!