Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Difference betweeen Power BI desktop and Power BI service for development?

does anyone know what functionality is not available in the power  bi service if you develop dashboards there vs doing it in the desktop?

ta

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vanessafvg

Bascially, you need to know "dashboard" in Service means a single page while in Desktop, there is no "dashboard" but reports which can have many single pages. Of course, there are reports in Service.

Here is a reference about basic concepts in Service.

When you create a report or a dashboard directly from Service, you can't clean and model your data to change the data structure to fit your requirements to create proper visuals.

Like Greg_Deckler's answer, you can't use Power Query and DAX langulage, can't manage tables' relationship,ect.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vanessafvg

Bascially, you need to know "dashboard" in Service means a single page while in Desktop, there is no "dashboard" but reports which can have many single pages. Of course, there are reports in Service.

Here is a reference about basic concepts in Service.

When you create a report or a dashboard directly from Service, you can't clean and model your data to change the data structure to fit your requirements to create proper visuals.

Like Greg_Deckler's answer, you can't use Power Query and DAX langulage, can't manage tables' relationship,ect.

Best Regards

Maggie

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You have no access to do anything with the data model in the Service. You cannot create measures, custom columns, relationships, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler @v-juanli-msft thank you 🙂

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.