Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference Summarize and Summarizecolumns

Use TopN and want the Total in a tabel sum all the rows in the table by using SUMX.

To Sum I use SUMX together with SUMMARIZE. But prefer to use SUMMARIZECOLUMNS.

For both for a test, I have tried with SUMMARIZE and SUMMARIZECOLUMNS to created a New Table in PBI. The two tables are equal.

Then In a vizualization Table, when I add the SUMX with SUMMARIZE the Visualization still work. When try with SUMX with SUMMARIZECOLUMNS. Error "Couldn't load the data....

Am I doing somthing wrong. Have read about SUMMARIZE and SUMMARIZECOLUMNS. Can't see why it don't work.

Attach two picture. Meassures and the test model.

Thank you.

Vizulization.JPGModel.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The book in Purple colour : The Definitive Guide to DAX By Marco and Albero. On page 256. In the Text box:

"You will not use SUMMARIZECOLUMNS in measures, becasue it cannot have outside filter context". 

I use SUMMARIZECOLUMNS in SUMX. Is that the reason ?   Maybe.

Until now haven't found a solution.

It works with SUMMARIZE.

Thank you for your contribution.

I had a similar issue and ended up using SUMMARIZE instead of SUMMARIZECOLUMNS to calculate Mean Average Percentage Error (MAPE) at a specific granularity.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59843180/incorrect-totals-in-power-bi-table-for-mape 

MAPEX = SUMX ( SUMMARIZE ( Forecast, 'Product'[ItemName], 'Calendar'[Year], 'Calendar'[Month] ), [Absolute Percentage Error] ) 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if this thread helps:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SummarizeColumns-and-AddMissingItems-may-not-be-used-in-thi...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.