Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

moeconsult
Helper V
Helper V

Devide sum of a column by sum of another column if a column contains

ID
FYgenerationROUNDTYPECON TYPESTRIKE
2019/200.0558InvoffshoreTran54
2020/212.79round 1onshoredis56
2021/221.37round 2nuclearTran58
2022/232.98round 3solardis60
2023/242.09HPCengerTran62
2024/251.52Invadvdis64
2025/263.97round 1offshoreTran66
2027/284.97round 2onshoredis68
2028/290.08round 3nuclearTran70
2029/300.9HPCsolarTran72
2030/310.06round 1energydis74

What am trying to archieve is to calculate weighted for each round so I can dispalay this on a line chat.

Formular : Sum(generation)*Sum(strike)/sum(generation) but I want to calculate this for each Round . i.e Round 1, Round 2 etc .

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @moeconsult 

Please adjust the formula as below:

CALCULATE (
    DIVIDE (SUM ( 'valuation Generation'[Prod] ),SUM ( 'valuation Generation'[generation] )),
        FILTER ( 'valuation Generation', 'valuation Generation'[ROUND] = "Round 1" )
)

If not your case, please share your expected output based on above sample data.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I think the correct formula should be

Sum(generation * strike)/sum(generation)

You can try in the following way

Create a new column prod = generation * strike

Weighted Avg = calculate(divide(sum(prod),sum(generation))

Or 
Weighted Avg = calculate(divide(sumx(table,generation*strike),sum(generation))

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Thanks for swift response, but I want to calculate individual weight average for each round 1 , Round 2, Round 3 etc in the round column . I dont know if that makes sense ?

You can use a slicer or can use row in the matrix, visual level filter etc

Or have filter in the calculation

Weighted Avg = calculate(divide(sum(prod),sum(generation),round= "round1")

or
Weighted Avg = calculate(divide(sum(prod),sum(generation),filter(table,round= "round1"))

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

I have tried this  Calculate(divide(sum('valuation Generation'[Prod]),Sum(('valuation Generation'[generation]),filter(('valuation Generation',[Allocation Round] = "Allocation Round 1"))

I got this error message: The expression refers to multiple columns . Multiple columns cant not be converted into scalar value .

further clarification would be appreciated .

Thanks for your help

hi @moeconsult 

Please adjust the formula as below:

CALCULATE (
    DIVIDE (SUM ( 'valuation Generation'[Prod] ),SUM ( 'valuation Generation'[generation] )),
        FILTER ( 'valuation Generation', 'valuation Generation'[ROUND] = "Round 1" )
)

If not your case, please share your expected output based on above sample data.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lili6-msft  thanks for your help with this formula but some of the measures created for each allocation rounds are coming up with blank in the the chart when when i click show data, its showing blanks. any suggestion to fix this would help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.