Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Solomon_Guy
Advocate II
Advocate II

Determine which filters/slicers affects a visualisation

When creating a table visualisation in one of my pages, a slicer/filter is applied which is not present in any other visualisation on the page, nor in page level or report level filters. Is there a way to determine where this slicer/filter is coming from? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SOLUTION

Open the selection pane from the view tab to see all the visualisations applied to the page. Check for any hidden slicers and make them visible. I had a hidden slicer which was excluding leave from my visualisation. Simply deleted it and the report was back to functional. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Solomon_Guy 

Based on my research, you may click the filter icon a1.png in the visual to see filters and slicers applied to the visual.

Here is my sample. There are a visual level filter and a slicer filtering the table visual.

a2.png

Result:

a3.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Allan. yes I am aware of this feature, it is what allowed me to determine a slicer/filter was responsible for my data no displaying correctly. However I do not know where this slicer/filter is coming from. If you have any ideas please let me know. 

Thanks. 

SOLUTION

Open the selection pane from the view tab to see all the visualisations applied to the page. Check for any hidden slicers and make them visible. I had a hidden slicer which was excluding leave from my visualisation. Simply deleted it and the report was back to functional. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hope you have checked the visual level filter and if you have not clicked on any other visual by mistake. Also you formula can cause data filtering. provide more details

Hi, I do have a question about this. I have a dashboard with a lot of visuals, and clicking on them affects the remaining ones.

How can I instantly know which one is affecting the others? Or how can I make them unrelated, so that cliking on them does not affect others?

I have checked the visual level filters, which do not show the filter I can see under the "filters and slicers affecting this visual." Can confirm no other visual is selected either. The formula I am using that is the most likely culprit is:

Unbillable Task Category =
if(Search("Technical Issues",TimeSheet[task],,-1) <> -1,
  "Technical Issues",
     if(TimeSheet[project]="Sales and Marketing",
      "Sales & Marketing",
         if(TimeSheet[Project] = "IT", "IT",
           if(TimeSheet[project] = "Leave",
             "Leave",
              "Uncategorised"
           )
        )
    )
)

The filter in question is excluding leave from the visual. Thanks for your response. 

The formula seems correct, Unless TimeSheet[task] has blank value and that is one not coming. If you are using a measure with sumx, minx or calculate and having filter that could be the reason for filter

If possible please share a sample pbix file after removing sensitive information.Thanks.

My Recent Blog -

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.