Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Determine Start of Quarter In Date Table Based On MAX Date in Fact Table

I am trying to categorize the dates in my date table ('tCalendar') that fall into the current quarter so that I can use it as a filter in my visualizations. The current quarter is based on the latest [Date Completed] value in my fact table 'ReqMaster'. I created a column on the date table and attempted the first part of the formula to check for all dates equal-to or greater than the first of the quarter.

QTR Test = IF( 'tCalendar'[Date] >= CALCULATE( STARTOFQUARTER('ReqMaster Main'[Date Completed]), FILTER( ALL( 'ReqMaster Main'), 'ReqMaster Main'[Date Completed] = MAX('ReqMaster Main'[Date Completed]))), "Current Qtr", BLANK())

What is confusing to me is that the CALCULATE function is not returning the expected result - in this case, 7/1/2018. Instead it returns 7/2/2018. I'm assuming this is because my fact table does not have a value of 7/1/2018 in it, but does have 7/2/2018. But I would have expected the STARTOFQUARTER to have forced the value to be evaluated to be 7/1.  Can someone help me understand if there is a better way I should be doing this?

Untitled.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi rootdown42,

In your senario, you'd better input  date like  "7/1" manually as a condition in calculate function because STARTOFQUARTER will return the first date of the quarter in the current context for the specified column of dates.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Jimmy, but this data will be updated going forward, so the goal is that no manual entry of date criteria will be needed. I want the current quarter to always be defined by the dates in the fact table. So I'm open to any solution that achieves this - it doesn't have to utilize STARTOFQUARTER.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors