Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brett_walton
Helper II
Helper II

Determine Shift Based on time range

I have a table of transactions that post entries at specific time (I have a fields that captures the time and location) I want to add a column that identifies shift it was posted based on  shift table sample below). I am adding a column because the visiuals I create will include all data from all locations so slicers won't help. Any idea the best way ? Thanks 

Loc    Shift no       Start                End 

1          1              05:00:00        14:00:00   

1          2              14:00:00        21:00:00  

2          1              04:00:00        13:00:00   

2          2              13:00:00        20:00:00  

3          1              04:30:00        13:30:00   

3          2              13:30:00        20:30:00  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the Solution I have created two tables,

Dimension table has all the master information of location, shift no, start and end times.

Fact Table has all the transactional information abouth the location and Persons and Start time. Please see the attached screenshots.

RelationshipsRelationshipsCreate calculated column using DAXCreate calculated column using DAXfilter Blanksfilter BlanksFinal outputFinal output

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Brett,

You can use merge queries option in the Query editor with left outer join. To recreate a solution for you, please post the full data model and sample tables with expected output.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thanks for the reply ... I have a table that list production and its time and I want to determine shift based on the define shifts in the table in my original post

so for the table below and determine the first one is shift 1 (because its between the start and end times for the shifts in the shift table) .. the second one would be shift 2 , Make sense ?

Loc 1 10 pcs 05:20:00 (want to add a shift column that says "1")

Loc 2 50 pcs 14:43:50 (want to add a shift column that says "2")

For the Solution I have created two tables,

Dimension table has all the master information of location, shift no, start and end times.

Fact Table has all the transactional information abouth the location and Persons and Start time. Please see the attached screenshots.

RelationshipsRelationshipsCreate calculated column using DAXCreate calculated column using DAXfilter Blanksfilter BlanksFinal outputFinal output

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.