Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Detect changed value in a column compared to previous row

Hi,

I need to filter my visual to only show rows where there has been a change in "Attribute" compared to the previous row.

We start with our dataset:

IndexAttribute
1A
2A
3B
4B
5C

I imagine the solution would be to build a calculated column with DAX called "Changed". Value 1 for all rows where the there has been a change compared to the previous row, 0 when there has been no change.

IndexAttributeChanged
1A1
2A0
3B1
4B1
5C1
6C0

Row 1 would ideally also have value 1 as it's the base value and I would like to include in the the visual.

Could somebody point me to the right direction for building th calculated column?

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Column = 
VAR _prevattr = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Attribute]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Index]<EARLIER('Table'[Index])))
RETURN IF('Table'[Attribute]<>_prevattr,1,0)

Please use this formula to track status change. However one thing I didn't get for index 4 changed value column value is 1 I think it should be 0. Let me know if you have question

View solution in original post

kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Thanks for providing a dataset that could be copied and pasted.

Here's the measure I wrote

Changed =
VAR currentIndex =
MAX ( Attributes[Index] )
VAR previousIndex =
IF ( currentIndex = 1, 1, CurrentIndex - 1 )
VAR currentValue =
MAX ( Attributes[Attribute] )
VAR previousValue =
CALCULATE ( MAX ( Attributes[Attribute] ), Attributes[Index] = previousIndex )
RETURN
previousValue = currentValue

The trick to get "previous" values in DAX is to use an idex (which you already had). There is a function named EARLIER, but it does NOT mean the previous row. It refers to the outer filter context and is not appropriate here.

This is a measure, so in several places you cannot just refer to a column directly, but have to wrap your reference in MAX(). The measure will run in a row context, where there will only be one value available. So MAX will return that value.

Here are my results

changed.png

Thanks for posting, it was a fun problem.

Every time I answer a question I learn something

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!