Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Detailed Data

I have a matrix report where data is being shown from multiple sources.

Drill through is not working properly in this case and the requirement is to show the corresponding records from the matrix.

Also in the matrix, multiple measures are being shown.

17 REPLIES 17
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @Anonymous 

Why drill through is not working properly in this case? if you enable keep all filters in drill through?

Please share your sample pbix file and your expected output, that will be a great help.

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , too little information to provide ant solution.

Drillthrough or report tooltip should work

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format?
Appreciate your Kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

I have attached a sample file.

Please have a look and suggest your view.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try to elaborate here the situation. I am visualizing a matrix (shown below) where data is coming from multiple sources (tables) and measures.matrix.PNG

So, I have 6 categories and for samplee I am just showing 3 categories which further have multiple categories.

The 3 tables which are beig used here are interrelated on a common field and one of then is connected to date table.

Now the problem I am facing here is , I am not able to drill through to the detailed data page which I have created.

What can be edone to show the data behind the counts, any deep link or any other suggestion?

hi  @Anonymous 

I am visualizing a matrix (shown below) where data is coming from multiple sources (tables) and measures.

How do you put different table measure into one matrix that could show as your example?

If possible, please share your simple sample pbix file, that will be a great help.

Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for coming back to me.

To answer your question -"How do you put different table measure into one matrix that could show as your example?", I have given the measure which I am using to consolidate the values from different tables.

Formula.PNG

Above is just a sample for one category and similarly, I have added for other categories and this is being used to populate the data in matrix.

The Summary Data table is connected to date table which is further connected to other tables.

Let me know if you need further details and please advise a solution.

hi @Anonymous 

For your case, basically, when use drill through, only 'Category' and 'Date' of the row context will be a filter to pass detail page, so you need to use the same logic to create measure in detail page.

If the data structure of these tables are same, i would suggest you append them into one table, that will be very convenient for modeling.

If you still have the problem, please share a simple sample pbix file.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

I have placed a sample pbix here.

If you open the PBIX, and when drill through for Sub Category 2 , it will show the data for Sub Category 1.

The point here is, I am trying to drill through (for DataSet 2) to another table (DataSet) where the details arae stored.

Please provide a cool solution for this so that I can drill through to another table.

In the original file, I have multiple datsets and I am trying to drill through to only one table where detailed are stored.

hi  @Anonymous 

First, when you drillthrough from page 1 to page 2. all the row context will be passed to page 2.

for example:

6.JPG

so it could not happen that it will show the data for Sub Category 1.

and you should use a table visual for each table DataSet, since in your case, you are using IF/SWITCH funtion to judge what measure(table DataSet ) to use in current row context, but 'drillthrough' couldn't judge this.

I would add a title for each table visual as a tag for them like below:

7.JPG

here is sample pbix, please try it.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lin.

I had a look at this and I could see that you have advised to use table visual for each dataset.

However, the details what user wants to see, is stored in one table only.

So, there is no use if I create different table visuals and drill through to those created tables.

Any solution to drill through to one table would be appreciated.

Also, when I say it shows the data for Sub Category 1 when I drill through for Sub Category 2, that means the same what I explained above that user wants to see the data for DataSet1 only.

HI @Anonymous 

to my knowledge, it couldn't achieve in power bi for now use drillthrough for different table,

I would suggest append  or union different tables into one table, then your requirement will be achieved.

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I do it that way, different table for different dataset, how would I put my consolidated measure(Summary Value)?

I tried by putting individual measure in detailed page , but it's nt showing me an option for drill through.

And if I put the consolidated measure(Summary Value) in each table, then in summary report, it will give me options to all the pages when I try to drill through. 

hi  @Anonymous 

add  a tag column before append them into one table, then when I would suggest you drag this tag column into matrix too, now when drillthrough, this row context will be passed to details page too.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @v-lili6-msft 

Please have a look at the below image-

Issue.PNG

I have created different table for differeent dataset on different pages.

SO this way after doing a right click for drill through, it will give all options for drill through.

There should be only one option and not multiple. 

hi  @Anonymous 

In power bi, there will be only multiple option and not only one, as i said above, you use IF/SWITCH Function to custom judge which dataset should show in current row context, but power bi couldn't identify this logic.

If this way, I would suggest you rename each page name by each dataset name that help users to understand it well.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft ,

Thanks you for your suggestion.

I am proceeding that way however the problem I am facing here is, it's working for measures but not for calculated columns.

Isn't is supposed to work for calculated columns?

Like, according to my sample pbix, it works for SubCategory 1 (assuming it to be a measure) however not working for Sub Category 2 (measure derived from a calculated column).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft , 

Any way of doing it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.