Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrisukbates
Frequent Visitor

Desktop wont go full screen on second monitor

Hi, I've got a recent issue with Power BI desktop.  It opens on my laptop screen and when I move to my second much larger screen it's limited to the original laptop screen dimensions.  It will not go full screen.

If I go into display settings and click "Make this my main display" for the second screen then the app will go full screen.  But this causes other problems when you undock the laptop.

Weirdly the query editor window in the same instance will go full screen.  Anyone else experience this?  Is it a bug?

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This happened to me just now... took me a while to figure it out. On the larger monitor, when I clicked on "Maximize" window button the top right hand side, nothing would happen and the desktop app retained the same dimension/space as it was on the laptop. 

What I did was, using the Power BI Desktop window corners, reduce the size down very small, then hit the maximize window button on the top right of the window. This forced it to fill the full size of the monitor.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
sylpro

have the same issue and different resolutions on screens.

Smaller resolution is the main screen.

So when I open powerbi on smaller resoluton screen and open report and move it to bigger resolution screen it will not go full screen.

When I open powerbi move it to higher resolution screen and open report it will go full screen.

tinoac123
Frequent Visitor

I have been experiencing this issue as well--so annoying! However, @Gerard_Plante mentions in his post worked for me! Use the arrows in the corner of the app window to minimize it to as small as it goes. Then hit the maximize window button. 

Dumb that this is an issue but so happy that a workaround has surfaced! Thanks Gerard!

Thanks.

For anyone else investigating the problem I've found it varies between PBIX files, older files seem to be more likely to suffer the issue but brand new files don't.  Maybe it's a backward compatibility issue?

chrisukbates
Frequent Visitor

Hi, thanks for checking.  I also have the very latest version of the Desktop App.  The laptop screen is running at 1920x1080 and the monitor is running at 2560x1440 because it's much larger.  I've tried switching between display port and HDMI connectors for the monitor with no effect.

It's so frustrating to have Power BI desktop main window limited to only one quarter of the monitor when the query editor will happily go full screen.

Chris

Hi @chrisukbates ,

My test was working on the two screen with both 1920*1080, it works well. So I suspect it may casued by different display resolution. Unfortunately, I don't have device with 2560x1440 for test, would you please try to change the second screen's display resolution to 1920*1080 and try again.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi, I changed the monitor to 1920x1080 to match the laptop and the issue still persisted.  I've been using PBI Desktop for a long time with this monitor and this issue is only a recent development, but has happened across two versions of the desktop app.

It's very odd that the main Desktop wont go full screen but the query editor will...

Hi @chrisukbates ,

I suggest you create a support ticket for it cause I can't reproduce your issue. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thanks, will do.

Chris

This happened to me just now... took me a while to figure it out. On the larger monitor, when I clicked on "Maximize" window button the top right hand side, nothing would happen and the desktop app retained the same dimension/space as it was on the laptop. 

What I did was, using the Power BI Desktop window corners, reduce the size down very small, then hit the maximize window button on the top right of the window. This forced it to fill the full size of the monitor.

Many thanks, I'll give that a try.

Chris

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrisukbates ,

Based on my test, it works well on the latest version of power bi desktop. did your second screen have the same display resolution as your laptop?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

March 2023...
I'm still experiencing the issue described above but I found a workaround.

- Laptop screen is set to 1920x1080

- External monitor is set to 3440x1440

I wanted to work with Power BI on the external screen for obvious reasons, but it would only expand to 1/4 screen size on the external monitor. 

Workaround: In Settings/Display, I selected "Make this my main display" checkbox for the external monitor, and now it expands to full screen on the external monitor as desired. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.