Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danielwo
Regular Visitor

Desktop vs Service for the scenario of Excel xlsx on SharePoint online

Hi all,

I have an Excel xlsx with sheets of table on Sharepoint online. I would like to generate visual report on PowerBi to present the tables from different sheets. I actually tried using PowerBI desktop and services to do the job and I found pros and cons of each. So would like to seek for advise to use which one further:

- When using Service, it is quite easy and friendly to locate and load xlsx file by simply inputing the Sharepoint root path as it searches all the way down the hierachy, but in Desktop, the path of the xlsx needs to be quite specific though.

- When using Desktop, the way to import the xlsx is complicated, Get Data, Sharepoint, choose the file then go in Query Editor to extract table one by one..., while using Services, once the file is located, all the sheets and tables in the file are loaded and imported

- I usually got some errors when importing the file on Desktop, eg, data type error... While importing via Service, I seldom see errros....

- Desktop allows to save as pbix while Service cannot.

- Dekstop allows copy and paste of visual report, while Service can't

- Of course features in Desktop is more advanced like it has Relationship, etc while Service dont have those.

Now my requirement is simply below:

- The file will be edited directly on Sharepoint so changes to the values will need to be auto refreshed hourly to Visual report.

- If any table structure change, say adding or modifying columns, I can simply refresh dataset and then wrap up in the report

- Advanced features like Relationship is not a must but nice to have in case in future

The above seems leading myself to use Service but seems it is a one-way decision that means I cannot change to use Desktop in a simple one in the future I need some features in Desktop, unless I need to re-do everything from Desktop. Or I dont know if I can use both together or alternative for same dataset, report etc??

Your advise is highly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@danielwo,

As you want to make OneDrive hourly refresh work after making changes to the Excel file(changing values, adding columns), you would need to directly connect to Excel file stored on SharePoint Online in Power BI Service. In Power BI Service, you can also copy and paste visuals from one report page and another page.

Besides, if you don't want to re-do everything in Power BI Desktop when you need Desktop features, you can purchase Power BI Premium, create the whole report in Power BI Desktop from scratch, then publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service. This way, you are able to set hourly refresh for the dataset in Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@danielwo,

1. Yes, you can download PBIX from Power BI Service following the guide in this article:https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-export-to-pbix/.

2. You would need to purchase Power BI premium.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@danielwo,

As you want to make OneDrive hourly refresh work after making changes to the Excel file(changing values, adding columns), you would need to directly connect to Excel file stored on SharePoint Online in Power BI Service. In Power BI Service, you can also copy and paste visuals from one report page and another page.

Besides, if you don't want to re-do everything in Power BI Desktop when you need Desktop features, you can purchase Power BI Premium, create the whole report in Power BI Desktop from scratch, then publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service. This way, you are able to set hourly refresh for the dataset in Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the reply.

So can I recap I can achieve the below if publish PBIX to Service?

1. Using Desktop and Service alternatively. First I need to create all from scratch in Desktop, including the tedious steps of loading the table one by one as dataset etc.., create visual reports etc. Then publish to Service. Once publish to Service, I can do report editing on Service.. And when I need to use Desktop, I can save a latest PBIX from Services to and open it for continue editing.... and so on...

2. Hourly refresh. Since I created the dataset initially on Desktop, I cannot rely on the OneDrive auto hourly refresh. Instead, I can set the dataset refresh as hourely in Service.

Thanks a lot

@danielwo,

1. Yes, you can download PBIX from Power BI Service following the guide in this article:https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-export-to-pbix/.

2. You would need to purchase Power BI premium.

Regards,

Hi Lydia,
I actually dont.know if my company has purchased Premium but obviously I am able to configure the refresh interval as hourly, or even every 15, 30 mins in the dataset settings of Service. Does it meant I have Premium already?

@danielwo,

Please check if you can turn on Premium option when creating an app workspace, if not, it means that you don't have Premium.
1.PNG

Without Power BI Premium, you are limited to 8 daily scheduled refreshes for imported datasets.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.