Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ppgandhi11
Helper V
Helper V

Desktop to Pro - Publishing question.

Hi,

We are planning to move from PowerBI desktop to Pro. I don't see a forum specifically for Pro so attempting to ask the question here.

1. Can we open the desktop reports in Pro and edit them?

2. I read many places that we need to do the reporting work in the Pro using workspaces in order to publish it. When we save the work in our workspace, where the data and report gets saved? In my local machine or any cloud space? The reason for asking this is with respect to the data privacy.

3. If we publish the reports in company's sharepoint in order for executive management to receive the report and review it, does the data move from X to Y using any cloud technology? Is the data susceptible to outside world?

Please advise. Thanks. Prashant-

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Pro is simply a licensing thing that provides an increased feature set. I get the sense that by "Pro" that you are saying that you are going to start using the Service?

1. You can do some basic editing in the Service. There are many things that you can't do in the Service however that you still need to use Desktop for, such as editing your data model.

2. Yes, that's the new model, to publish via App Workspaces. The data is stored in the Service regardless though once you start using the Service

3. No, not really. It's kind of like an iframe. 

You probably want to read this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-power-bi-security

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.