cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper V
Helper V

Desktop to Pro - Publishing question.

Hi,

We are planning to move from PowerBI desktop to Pro. I don't see a forum specifically for Pro so attempting to ask the question here.

1. Can we open the desktop reports in Pro and edit them?

2. I read many places that we need to do the reporting work in the Pro using workspaces in order to publish it. When we save the work in our workspace, where the data and report gets saved? In my local machine or any cloud space? The reason for asking this is with respect to the data privacy.

3. If we publish the reports in company's sharepoint in order for executive management to receive the report and review it, does the data move from X to Y using any cloud technology? Is the data susceptible to outside world?

Please advise. Thanks. Prashant-

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV
Super User IV

Pro is simply a licensing thing that provides an increased feature set. I get the sense that by "Pro" that you are saying that you are going to start using the Service?

1. You can do some basic editing in the Service. There are many things that you can't do in the Service however that you still need to use Desktop for, such as editing your data model.

2. Yes, that's the new model, to publish via App Workspaces. The data is stored in the Service regardless though once you start using the Service

3. No, not really. It's kind of like an iframe. 

You probably want to read this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-power-bi-security

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Happy New Year from Power BI

This is a must watch for a message from Power BI!

December Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2020 Updates!

Community Blog

Check it Out!

Click here to read the latest blog and learn more about contributing to the Power BI blog!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors