Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chienim
Frequent Visitor

Desktop publish limitation : Pro or Free account?

Hello all,

Currently I'm playing with Power BI and learning about how it handles data storage by different data sources and connection way,

I did read this:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi...

and understand the limitation of publish from Desktop.

Here's something I don't understand,

When publishing to Service, does the limitation of publish(1Gb) change to 10G if I upgrade to pro account? Which means I can have a 10G .pbix file including imported dataset and upload it to Service am I correct?

Thanks for some advise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you do it right, load what you need and not what you don't, and shape the data right, I would be shocked if a 1TB data source got anywhere near 1GB.

Read my best practices here.  http://exceleratorbi.com.au/best-practices-power-pivot-power-query-power-bi/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Wow, I wouldn't want to be publishing a 10GB pbix file. Do you know it will actually be this size or is this just a general question?  Power bi compression is awesome. I have a 60 million row workbook that is 250mb. If you don't build it right they can be large, and of course if you have billions or rows it may also be large. 

My understanding is the max workbook size is 1GB (so you can have 10 of them with pro). 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply,

Yes you're right this is just a general question; I don't have such a sample on hand 🙂

The scenario here is that my customer may have a huge data source say, 1TB in on-prem db.

so if I go with importing data there may be a large data model built in power bi (don't have a rough image about the size after compression though),

that's why I come up with this question if Direct Query is not preferred.

Thanks for the info too!

If you do it right, load what you need and not what you don't, and shape the data right, I would be shocked if a 1TB data source got anywhere near 1GB.

Read my best practices here.  http://exceleratorbi.com.au/best-practices-power-pivot-power-query-power-bi/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.