Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dBI

Desktop hangs on start (Win 10) with multiple monitors

I posted in the wrong topic and since then I found an answer.  After installing 64bit version of Power BI Desktop (2.27.4163.351 /9/23/2015) I was left with a black, unresponsive window after the loading model splash screen closed.. After killing the task, uninstalling and downloading the bits again, I still had the same issue.

What I figured out was that the app's window was loading on the center of three monitors (which is my main monitor). The app on my machine did not draw correctly when it started up on the middle monitor. To figure this out, I disconnected my two extra monitors which forced the app back to the laptop monitor - and now the app painted correctly. Once started I was able to reconnect my monitors and drag the app back to the middle monitor without issue. 

I was/ am  able to repro this issue whenever I start Power BI Desktop and my center monitor is the main monitor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you're still experiencing these issues, please use the "Send a Frown" button in Power BI Desktop to connect directly with our engineering team. We will troubleshoot this issue with you via private channel.

Thanks,
M.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
moonsjine
Frequent Visitor

I'm having similar issues, running Windows 10 on multiple montitors. I've tried the suggestion to change the Explorer setting, but this did not make a difference for me. Also re-install did not help.

Any suggestions are welcome !!

I have the same problem with Power BI (2.38.4491.282 64-bit)  on my system (Win 10 pro X64  1607 Build 14393.82) .

Starting Power BI with 2 monitors leaves me with a black screen. Switching my display to laptop only, The screen comes alive!

After switching back to my 2 external screen again, power BI is also active on my external monitor. The only problem is that popup displays called by the programm show up black again. Moving (drag) the application the my original laptop screen, the painting of popup displays are working correctly.

I have a laptop (Dell Precision 7510) with 2 graphic processors. Selection to execute the programm with a different Graphic processor makes no differance. Is seems that there is still a issue with the painting of the form when multple displays are used

I disabled the GPU acceleration in internext explorer and now it is partual working.

troy
Regular Visitor

I am experienceing this is well after upgrading to Microsoft Power BI Desktop Version: 2.27.4163.701 today on 10/1/15. System is Windows 10 with multiple monitors. If the system is udocked the window shows up on the laptop monitor and is vissible, but if it is dragged onto another monitor it is black. Seems like a graphics card accelleration issue with second displays. This system is using nvida optimius. Any popup windows trigger this.

If you're still experiencing these issues, please use the "Send a Frown" button in Power BI Desktop to connect directly with our engineering team. We will troubleshoot this issue with you via private channel.

Thanks,
M.

This is an extremely unhelpful answer. The application is hanging and the screen is black. Your answer is akin to telling someone to open their email when they can't connect to the internet.

Allow me to add my frown face to your reply... Smiley Mad

I am having the same issue.  Works perfectly when I had Win 7, now it just puts up the black screen.  Cannot send a frown, even.

I have a temporary work around.  Change your graphics to only one monitor, open Power BI.  Once it is opened on your workbook, extend your desktop again.  Save the workbook.  Close power bi and open the same workbook and it should be OK.

This is an extremely unhelpful answer. The application is hanging and the screen is black. Your answer is akin to telling someone to open their email when they can't connect to the internet.

Here, allow me to add my frown face to your unhelpful reply... Smiley Mad

Right Click on the PowerBI App.  Choose: Run with Graphics Processor.  Select Integrated.  Solved it for me.

Mike

We have seen this issue due to a graphics driver rendering issue.

The back story as far as I understand, is that Power BI Desktop is rendering the interface in HTML 5. This can be problematic with some of the newer graphics card chipsets. The initial splash screen is not being displayed correctly, its there you just cannot see it. All you see is a black screen and you have to kill the process from task manager. (Same issue for me and others on pretty new hardware with Windows 10)

The workaround we have been using so far is to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. Power BI Desktop obtains its setting from Internet Explorer, so we need to make the change there.

1. Close Power BI Desktop

2. Open Internet Explorer

3. Click on Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Check: Accelerated Graphics: "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering"

4. Close all Internet Explorer windows and tabs

5. Open Power BI Desktop

Note: Presumably a graphics driver update could correct this issue, but the latest driver made no change for me.

Still seeing this problem. I noticed that i be working in power bi and then jump to another application. Power BI will then freeze untill i undoc from multiple monitors. Any solution for this yet?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.