Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

f4v5cs6oy3vis7j
Regular Visitor

Desktop app is not pulling in the extracted data

Hi,

I've got an established Power BI file. It's populated from numerous Excel files on SharePoint.

The report has, until now, worked relatively well; I open the Desktop, refresh the data, then publish.

This month, however, I'm having trouble getting the data to pull into the Report.

The Power Query Editor does have the correct data; I can see (for example) the Calendar table is populated with August 2022 dates. The last line of the M query is to filter the Calendar to only show the last 12 months. That will become important later.

So the Editor is fine; the M query reports are fine and I can see what I need to see.

Now in the Power BI dashboard I press the "Refresh" button. BI goes to Editor (I assume) and runs all of the queries fully. The dialogue box shows everything is refreshing fine. Then when the refresh is complete I try to change a display to show August 2022 and ... there is no August 2022. I can load up the Calendar in the Data tab (on the left) and August 2021 is there (you remember I mentioned the Editor only pulls the last 12 months).

So the Editor shows August 2022 and Desktop shows August 2021.

I have gone further: if can edit the Calendar Power Query report (e.g. delete the last line (filter to show the last 12 months)), load the change into BI, then back to Edit the Calendar and edit the report back again, load this change back into BI and lo-and-behold ... August 2022 is showing in Desktop BI now.

However, all of my other tables are not showing data for August 2022 (again, in Editor, they are all showing correctly).

I mentioned the Refresh dialogue message box earlier: no error messages show; according to the box, Power BI is happy it has all of the correct information.

Is my only option to edit every one of my queries, load the "new" query into BI, and edit the query back to the correct version? Or am I doing something wrong?
As Editor has the right information, why is Editor not passing the correct data through to BI desktop?

Oh, one last thing ... in Power Query Editor, right-clicking the Calendar query (and all of the others, for that matter), both "Enable load" and "Include in report refresh" are both ticked.

That's all of the information I can think of sharing. I have power cycled the application all to no avail.

Version control: Power BI Desktop Version: 2.108.997.0 64-bit (August 2022)

Windows: Windows 10 Enterprise

OS build: 19044.1889

All help is gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
f4v5cs6oy3vis7j
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft 

I have not edited any query in Power Query Editor.

But when I look at Power Query Editor, I can see recent data; Power Query Editor is extracting the most recent data. This is good.

When I press Refresh on the Power BI Desktop, the most recent data (which I know exists because I've seen it in Power Query Editor) does not display on the Desktop app.

The only way I've been able to get the Desktop app to show the most recent data is to delete the last line in the Power Query Editor, refresh the Desktop with this change, and then re-edit the Power Query Editor to re-add the line I've just deleted, and re-refresh the Desktop. But this needs to be done on every single Query.

Does this make sense?

Hi @f4v5cs6oy3vis7j ,

If you use a method that meets your needs, it certainly makes sense.

I have an idea that I don't know if it would meet your needs that you could use as a reference, which is to configure automatic page refresh for reports, detect changes to relevant content to implement the refresh, and perhaps apply the changes to desktop.

Related link:

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

You can create a copy to try it out to know if the requirements can be met. If not, you may consider using your way.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft 

Thank you for your response, but you're not understanding the issue and automatic page updates won't help.

The correct data is being determined in Power Query Editor, but the correct data in Power Query Editor is not being passed to Power BI desktop.

Power BI desktop is not receiving the latest data.

That's the issue.

And yes, whilst I might be able to perform a workaround this month, what about next month? Or the month after that? Will I be resigned to amending the Queries every month? This appears to be a defect which Microsoft needs to resolve.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @f4v5cs6oy3vis7j ,

I have some confusion about the problem you are having because I have not been able to get a clear picture of your situation.
What I understand is that you made a change to the data in the power query, but the change was not applied to the desktop visual? Is this correct?
If I misunderstood you, could you please describe it in more detail, for example with the steps you took and what the problem is?

Thanks in advance~

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.