Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

brendanaus

Desktop Versus Web Different Data

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and hoping you can help me. I have setup a new Power BI PBIX file on Server 2012 R2 connecting to an ODBC datasource as System DSN. The data pulls in nicely into the desktop application. 

My issue arises when publishing to the web. I can log in to the web application and use the "Get Data" option. This connects fine and the data matches the desktop version. However if anything changes on the desktop version it will not refresh on the web. .I have tried connecting both the standard gateway and personal gateways but no luck. They both showed up as connected in the Gateway Connections section when logged in. 

I feel like I have exhausted most angles at this stage and would really appreciate some troubleshooting assistance. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @brendanaus,

"However if anything changes on the desktop version it will not refresh on the web"

Power BI esktop does not synchronize Power BI service. After publishing report to service, any change in desktop won't reflect in service. You have to re-publish the report to service to overwrite the original one.

"I have tried connecting both the standard gateway and personal gateways but no luck. They both showed up as connected in the Gateway Connections section when logged in."

The aim to configure gateway for data source, is to update data displayed on report page, which reflects the change to data in data source, rather than in desktop.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @brendanaus,

"However if anything changes on the desktop version it will not refresh on the web"

Power BI esktop does not synchronize Power BI service. After publishing report to service, any change in desktop won't reflect in service. You have to re-publish the report to service to overwrite the original one.

"I have tried connecting both the standard gateway and personal gateways but no luck. They both showed up as connected in the Gateway Connections section when logged in."

The aim to configure gateway for data source, is to update data displayed on report page, which reflects the change to data in data source, rather than in desktop.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.