Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jamesholland198
Frequent Visitor

Desktop Refreshes - DirectQuery to Dataset - "Sequence contains more than one matching element"

Hi,

I have a PowerBI dataset which I am connecting to via Direct Query.  My setup has been the same for a long time with no recent changes, but today I have started to receive the below error when trying to refresh any dataset that has a DirectQuery connection into this "Master dataset".  The problem seems specific to this Dataset only, as connecting to any other Dataset refreshes OK.

Refresh.JPG

My report refreshes fine directly in Service, it's only when trying to refresh via Desktop I get this error.  This happens with any file that is connected to this Dataset

Does anyone know what this error could refer to and give me a pointer of what to look out for within this "master dataset"?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
technolog
Super User
Super User

In my case, I just found one of the freshly added measures via Tabular Editor that was breaking the update. Removed it from the report. Added it again with a different name and everything worked.

Finding that measure was a matter of successively deleting measures until the update worked.

Also from the recommendations I've seen:

Check for Duplicate Elements: Ensure that the data or elements you are querying do not contain duplicates when they are not supposed to. This is often the case when you expect a unique identifier but find multiple entries with the same identifier.

PBIAL
Frequent Visitor

Problem solved.

In my composite, there is one pbi model causing this issue.

I just changed all the table names to different names in this trouble model. Refresh successfully without this error anymore. 

PBIAL
Frequent Visitor

Has this problem been solved yet? I also kept getting this error for updating a composite consisting of 5 pbi datasets. 

mcumis
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Was there any conclusion to this problem? It is happening on one of my DQ reports, with numerous connections to PBI datasets and SSAS databases. The published app/report is working as expected, but whenever I try to refresh the desktop report it throws up that error.

I'm on the latest version of Power BI, it isn't realistic for me to revert to a different version on my work laptop.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jamesholland198 ,

Please try upgrading the Power BI Desktop to latest version and check if this issue still exists.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
jamesholland198
Frequent Visitor

@amitchandak  

Thanks for the reply, but a duplicate value in a 1-M relationship would normally be more specific about the error, and usually tells you exactly which table has the duplicate and what the duplicate value is.

Also, the Master Dataset are connected to itself refreshes perfectly fine, so if there was any duplicate 1-M relationship issues within the model then the Dataset refresh itself would fail.

Also, everything refreshes perfectly fine in Service, it's only in Desktop that this error happens

It happens as soon as the refresh gets through "Evaluating", then "Creating connection in model" and then instantly throws up the error - and it's not like normal refresh errors as another dialogue box popups saying that something went wrong and to report it as an error:

refresh error2.JPG

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jamesholland198 , To me, seem like an issue with tables having 1-M relationship.

Seem like one side of the table is getting duplicate value

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.