Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Desktop Custom Visuals not importing (Cant import any)

I have come across this very weird problem on awork laptop where I can not install / import ANY custom visauals.  It says that it was imported successfully, but nothing shows up.   It is a new install (July version), so I cant confirm if older versions on the laptop were able to be imported. I  have tried the following and all produced no custom visual imports.

- Downloaded the custom visuals and powerbi.msi file on both work and home network

- reinstalled PBI

- restarted laptop

- Opened a "sample" pbix file that had the visual installed from multiple custom visuals and still the visual did show up

So weird, especially since I have not seen this problem posted on the forum before. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found out that solution.  This particular laptop had a proxy setup in its network lan settings.  We turned it off, reset and presto, it worked!  Installed the visuals, then turned the proxy back on.

Thanks for all the other suggestions!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@Anonymous Are you missing a step here?

Download the PBIVIZ from the visuals gallery

Click the "..." in the visuals section in your PBIX file

Select "Import a custom visual"

navigate to the downloaded visual on your machine

select the file -> Open

There is a notification of

"Import Custom Visual" - The visual was successfully imported into this report.

Using version: 2.37.4464.602 64-bit (July 2016)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that was done. 🙂 

After opening the PBVIZ file, a notification pops up saying " "Import Custom Visual" - The visual was successfully imported into this report."  Yet no visual ever gets loaded.   This is the 3rd machine I have installed PowerBI on, and I do not know what is making this particular laptop not loading them correctly. 

Hi @Anonymous,

You said that you have install Power BI on 3 machines, only this particlar labtop has this issue. So the issue can be related this labtop. In your scenario, please try to install the latest version (Version: 2.37.4464.602 64-bit (July 2016)) of Power BI desktop and check if this issue persists or not. The latest version is available on the link below.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/get-started/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found out that solution.  This particular laptop had a proxy setup in its network lan settings.  We turned it off, reset and presto, it worked!  Installed the visuals, then turned the proxy back on.

Thanks for all the other suggestions!

@Anonymous

I've run into a very similar issue but haven't been able to resolve using these steps. Can you clarify what you mean by "reset"? Did you mean restart your computer, or just close and restart Power BI?

Thanks very much!

Aaron

I too have followed the steps but when I turn the configuration file for the proxy off, I can not log into Power BI to try and load new visuals.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by "Logging into PowerBI?"   The Desktop app should not require any log in info.  Are you referring to the PowerBI on the web not displaying visuals? 

For some reason,  I need to log in to use my desktop version.  When I turned off the corporate configuaration file I was no longer logged into Power BI Desktop.  Weird huh?

No the Custome visuals work great through the online service.  Just hard to administer.  Not sure if this is part of the IT initiative in turning off new users from Power BI here.

@Anonymous Are you on the same Desktop version as mine? Have you tried an older version?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.