Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhartranft60
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Desktop App won't open network files that Desktop x64 can

I installed the Windows 10 Desktop app on my PC as it doesn't require admin rights and automatically updates without the need for me to submit a help desk ticket every month.  I have to ask IT to update my Desktop x64 version so often it's annoying (I love the fact that we get so many updates...it's IT that's annoying).  The Desktop app is much more convenient, however I've found that I cannot access my network files from the app, whereas I have no problems doing so from Desktop x64.  Any ideas why that may be?  I'd like to dump desktop all together and soley use the app due to its convenience, but I really need to be able to access the network!!

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jhartranft60 ,

Did you mean you cannot access to the online data source using Desktop App? Did you get any error message of that? Could you please share more details of that to me? Thanks in advance.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft ,

When I try to open a pbix file from our network drive via the Desktop app, I get the pop-up error message box that states:

Unable to open document

An error occurred while trying to open <network file path>: An unexpected network error occurred.

If I save the pbix file to a local drive, I can open it just fine, but if any of the data sources (ie - excel files) are still located on the network drive, the refresh will error out with a message that states something to the like of:

...For support for devices like com1 or lpt1... (sorry, didn't get a screenshot and that's all I remember)

As I mentioned before though, the Desktop x64 program will open pbix files and refresh using files in this network drive without any issues.  It's just the Desktop app that has any problems.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.