Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Design question

Hello!

I am working on a developing a set of financial reports. Currently everything is being done in Excel. I am trying to fit that data into model. Now I have Project wise Budget, Actual and Forecast values for each month. What will be optimized design?

1. Have all values in one fact table with a flag for identifying Budget, Actual and Forecast values.

2. Have 3 different tables each for Budget, Actual and Forecast values and connect them with dimesion tables. 

Regards

Priya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  if every record is at the same granularity, then yes, Option 1 should lead to a more optimized model.  Tall and narrow fact columns tend to compress better.  Just be sure to create your measures properly:

$ Budget = 
CALCULATE(
	SUM(Fact_Table[Amount])
	,Fact_Table[Flag] = "Budget"
)

You don't want to add up Budget, Forecast, and Actual values in the same measure!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would lean towards option 2.  The only way that Option 1 will work is if you have the exact same granularity across all three tables.

I'm guessing you have "Actual" transactions daily for specific accounts.  Do you have daily "Budget" and "Forecast" amounts?  It's probably only monthly values, and maybe only at a higher parent account level.

SQLBI wrote a great article on Budget Patterns.  I recommend reading it and then creating your data model based on your findings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Thank you so much for the reply! I am not reading data directly from the source system. I will receive monthly files for Budget, Actual and Forecast. So yes, they will have same granularity. In that case option 1 is better since I will be able to avoid joins? It will be a long and thin table if option 1 is chosen.

Regards

Priya

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  if every record is at the same granularity, then yes, Option 1 should lead to a more optimized model.  Tall and narrow fact columns tend to compress better.  Just be sure to create your measures properly:

$ Budget = 
CALCULATE(
	SUM(Fact_Table[Amount])
	,Fact_Table[Flag] = "Budget"
)

You don't want to add up Budget, Forecast, and Actual values in the same measure!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.