Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

stfox
Helper I
Helper I

Design Question

Hi Folks

I have Scatter Chart  (image below).  A number of the data points have the same X Y coordinates and are obscured.  Can  anyone suggest some tricks or tips to ensure all of the datapoints can be seen?

Cheers

Steve 

CheersDesign question.PNG

Steve

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Stfox,

i think u used the size and color.

i suggested to you try to add any dimension in "Play Axis"

that will help you.

View solution in original post

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @stfox,

In your scenario, please try to set Start value as the minimum value of the Y-axis field and End property as maximum value of Y-axis field to see if bubbles are separated.

w1.PNG

Also you can use the Enhanced Scatter chart visual, set different data points display as different shapes and specify shaps' rotation to separate data points as far as possible. For more information, please refer to this article: Tutorial: Enhanced Scatter charts in Power BI.

w2.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @stfox,

In your scenario, please try to set Start value as the minimum value of the Y-axis field and End property as maximum value of Y-axis field to see if bubbles are separated.

w1.PNG

Also you can use the Enhanced Scatter chart visual, set different data points display as different shapes and specify shaps' rotation to separate data points as far as possible. For more information, please refer to this article: Tutorial: Enhanced Scatter charts in Power BI.

w2.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Stfox,

i think u used the size and color.

i suggested to you try to add any dimension in "Play Axis"

that will help you.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@stfox I think adding a legend or color saturation will allow you to distinct each of those points.

Hi Ankit

Thanks for the response.  The colour saturation helps where the over lap is only patial. However,  there are also a number of exact over laps where the markers have the exact coordinates. In this situation I lose visiability of the bottom marks.  In Tableau  I have addressed this bay making the markers a pie chart with each segment of the pie indicating a company. In other tools, there is scope to introduce a "jiggle" that slightly offsets marks with the same coordinates. But I don't think these options are available  in PowerBI (yet anyway).  

One approach I am contemplating is adding a "layer" slicer/filter - that allows only one unique set of coordinates per layer. The data layers can then be toggled on and off to view all records. But its not a particuarly elegant solution. 

Any other suggestions out there?

Cheers

Steve 

Hi Steve,

It looks like your bubbles is identical to the value on the x-axis. If that is the case  - one solution could be not to set a value for the bubble size - and set the property Fill Point to On - that will give you some more space in the chart

br

Erik

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.