Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BI_Developer
Frequent Visitor

Deployment strategy PowerBI

Hi - 

just planning an enterprise deployment of Power BI and evaluating different options. 

As I understand there are different ways to share your apps and how you set up security: 

Lets say we are talking about an environemnt with 50 User and 10 Apps. 

Deployment options:

1- Developer/Admin prepares dashboards and publish them directly on the power bi cloud. Security is handled via Roles and Mail adresss.  No gateway required for users (data source is sql db)

2- SSAS layer between the SQL DB and PowerBI. We create a enterprise gateway and user connect via live connection to SSAS. Security is handled through SSAS. 

Could you let me know about pros / cons fo these options and overall what would be the best deployment option?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

a bit of a wordy read but worth it

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-governance/  (download the world file)

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Madsboegh
Frequent Visitor

The first is much more flexible, as it allows users to create reports based on datamodels themselves, which also goes for security settings. On the other hand, SSAS is an end-to-front control of security.

Domain-only access removes a lot of the risk of the first solution, which should be feasible for all non-customer facing applications.

Thanks for the reply. 

If I have data sizes bigger than 1GB I need to go with a live connection, right? 

What are the limitations regarding the data model with a live connection?

Thanks for the reply. 

If I have data sizes bigger than 1GB I need to go with a live connection, right? 

What are the limitations regarding the data model with a live connection?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.