Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gjohnson900
Helper I
Helper I

Dependent dropdown slicer leaves stale selected elements in place.

I've got a .pbix with multiple (4) drop down slicers at the top of the page...

int1.JPG

I've edited the interactivity so that they should be dependent from left to right.  In other words... if you select an element in Resort, it should update the available elements in Season, Purchase Date, and Passes.  Updating the selection in Purchase Date should only affect the elements in Passes.  This is how I'd expect it to work anyway.

What I'm seeing instead, for example, is that if there are elements already selected in Purchase Date, changing the Season will add the appropriate elements, but won't de-select the newly invalid values!

Here's a step by step.  First, select 2017/18 from Season, and legitimate values show up in Purchase Date.  I'll select a few Purchase Dates (okay, fine, months) at this point...

int2.JPG

So far, so good.

Now, when I select a different Season, the elements in Purchase Date that I originally selected (which aren't even valid anymore), are still selected!

int3.JPG

Why wouldn't Power BI remove these selected elements?!?!?

Since the selected elements aren't even valid, all of my visuals go blank.  Instead, if my Purchase Date just had none selected, the visuals would act like they were all selected, which is more desireable.

How do I get my slicers to interact more... rigidly?  This is a big QA issue.  We can't let users walk themselves into undefined states.

Here's the model.

int4.JPG

Thank you community!

1 REPLY 1
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @gjohnson900,

By my tests, I could reproduce your issue. 

However, this is should be by design. For Slicer, we need to clear the selected options manually.

So you need to clear the selected options on the other three slicers before you select values on RESORT Slicer.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.