Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Delta calculation in PBI and counter

Hi everyone,

I have a device with one button communicating by Sigfox.
Each 15 minutes, I receive a new line in my DB with the number of press on the button (counter !).
I received a message with date / number of press without the delta because it's a counter.

Example
01-01-2017 / 10 =>it means 10 press on this date
02-01-2017 / 15 => it means 5 press (15 - 10)
03-01-2017 / 25 => it means 10 press (25 - 15)

Have you got an idea or a simple method to allow me to have the number of press for each day using only PowerBI ?
Other point to mention is that this counter restart to 0 when it arrives at 4095...

Thank you for your ideas Smiley Happy
Cheers,
Michaël

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Delta = 
VAR EarlierDate = CALCULATE(MAX(TEST[date]), FILTER(TEST, TEST[Date] < EARLIER(TEST[date])))
VAR EarlierCumulativeTotal = CALCULATE(SUM(TEST[Cumulative Total]), ALL(TEST), TEST[date] = EarlierDate)
VAR DeltaTemp = TEST[Cumulative Total] - EarlierCumulativeTotal
RETURN IF(DeltaTemp>0, DeltaTemp, (4095-EarlierCumulativeTotal)+TEST[Cumulative Total])

View solution in original post

It works like a charm 🙂

Many thanks

Try this:

DeviceDelta = 
VAR EarlierDate = CALCULATE(MAX(TEST[date]), FILTER(TEST, TEST[Date] < EARLIER(TEST[date]) && TEST[DeviceID] = EARLIER(TEST[DeviceID])))
VAR EarlierCumulativeTotal = CALCULATE(SUM(TEST[Cumulative Total]), ALL(TEST), TEST[date] = EarlierDate,TEST[DeviceID] = EARLIER(TEST[DeviceID]))
RETURN IF(DeltaTemp>=0, DeltaTemp, (4095-EarlierCumulativeTotal)+TEST[Cumulative Total])

9 REPLIES 9
bblais
Resolver III
Resolver III

Let's say your data table TEST was this:

dateCumulative Total
1/1/201710
2/1/201715
3/1/201725

You can create a calculated column to get the deltas as such:

Delta = 
VAR EarlierDate = CALCULATE(MAX(TEST[date]),FILTER(TEST, TEST[Date] < EARLIER(TEST[date])))
RETURN TEST[Cumulative Total] - CALCULATE(SUM(TEST[Cumulative Total]), ALL(TEST), TEST[date] = EarlierDate)

For the reset at 4095, you could do something like this:

Delta = 
VAR EarlierDate = CALCULATE(MAX(TEST[date]), FILTER(TEST, TEST[Date] < EARLIER(TEST[date])))
VAR EarlierCumulativeTotal = CALCULATE(SUM(TEST[Cumulative Total]), ALL(TEST), TEST[date] = EarlierDate)
RETURN IF(DeltaTemp>0, DeltaTemp, TEST[Cumulative Total])

This would result in the following if you have data where the amount resets:

Capture.PNG

Thank you to both of you.

For the moment, I choose the solution @bblais.

Your solution is partially good because in your example you missed "8 messages".

So for 5/1/2017, the delta should be 18 instead of 10 (8 messages between 4087 and 4095 + 10).

Any idea using a simple way ?

Delta = 
RETURN IF(DeltaTemp>0, DeltaTemp, (4095-EarlierCumulativeTotal)+TEST[Cumulative Total])

Still using line code, is it possible to indicate the device (first column) where to make the computation (according to the "date") and also take into account that a new line can be added for a device with a delta = 0 (because of no change between two receptions)?

Example of data I can receive (the last column indicates the value I want to find using computation)

value.png

Try this:

DeviceDelta = 
VAR EarlierDate = CALCULATE(MAX(TEST[date]), FILTER(TEST, TEST[Date] < EARLIER(TEST[date]) && TEST[DeviceID] = EARLIER(TEST[DeviceID])))
VAR EarlierCumulativeTotal = CALCULATE(SUM(TEST[Cumulative Total]), ALL(TEST), TEST[date] = EarlierDate,TEST[DeviceID] = EARLIER(TEST[DeviceID]))
RETURN IF(DeltaTemp>=0, DeltaTemp, (4095-EarlierCumulativeTotal)+TEST[Cumulative Total])

It works like a charm too 🙂

Thanks !

It works like a charm 🙂

Many thanks

LaurentCouartou
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Assuming the source table is called Data and the columns are named Date and Cumulated, here is my suggestion for your offsetting problem:

let
Source = Data,
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(Source,{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}),
#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1),
Previous = {0} & List.RemoveLastN(#"Added Index"[Cumulated],1),
Columns = Table.ToColumns( #"Added Index" ) & { Previous },
ColumnNames = Table.ColumnNames( #"Added Index" ) & {"Previous"},
Table = Table.FromColumns( Columns, ColumnNames)
in
Table

This will add a new column with the value of Cumulated in the previous row.

From there, you should be able to calculate the delta (also applying the logic to handle resets).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.