Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Resolver II
Resolver II

Delimiter | not working

Hi, I have a strange importing behaviour with a text file which I'm unsure how to resolve.

On import, I see this table:

PBI File Import.jpg

I then select 'Custom' from the Delimiter field and the sample table adjusts to this new view below.

PBI File Import 2.jpg

From here, I then input '|' to the delimiter slection field and the window changed to this below, and this is what imports to PBI. None of the data is displaying. I only have one column to look at. Has anyone ever encountered this issue before, and to resolve it? Thanks. 

PBI File Import 3.jpg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi All, I found the solution. Upon importing of the file, only 1 column of data is visible when using '|' as the delimiter. This text file was originally an exported file from SAP. 

To display the entire expanded data set with its original columns, you need to open the Advanced Editor where you'll see the display code as below (I've blanked out the file address).

PBI File Import 4.jpgWithin this code, look for 'Column1' (outlined in Red).

Here, I simply changed the 1 to 21 as you can see, then the entire table expanded from one column to 21 columns, displaying all the original data from the source file.

Cheers.    

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi All, I found the solution. Upon importing of the file, only 1 column of data is visible when using '|' as the delimiter. This text file was originally an exported file from SAP. 

To display the entire expanded data set with its original columns, you need to open the Advanced Editor where you'll see the display code as below (I've blanked out the file address).

PBI File Import 4.jpgWithin this code, look for 'Column1' (outlined in Red).

Here, I simply changed the 1 to 21 as you can see, then the entire table expanded from one column to 21 columns, displaying all the original data from the source file.

Cheers.    

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.