Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carlG
Helper I
Helper I

Delimited data - Manipulating data from calendar connection

Hi PowerBi Community,

I am attempting to count the number of times a staff member is listed as a "required attendee" on a shared calendar. So far been able to connect everything, except hitting an issue when more than one person has been marked as required.

The imported data comes in with multiple names separated by a semicolon. I have attempted various ways to separate out this data, but I can't figure out how to build it with dynamic changes to accommodate if more people are added to the calendar invite.

Sample Data:

SubjectStartEndDisplayToEvent Type
Class1-Arduino26/04/202126/04/2021John Smith; Jane DoeProgram
Class2 - RaspPi27/04/202127/04/2021Jane Doe;Program
Class3 - Arduino28/04/202128/04/2021Jane Doe; John SmithProgram
Event - Laser Cutter28/04/202128/04/2021Steve Jobs; John Smith; Jane DoeNetworking Event
Class4 - Illustrator29/04/202130/04/2021Jane Doe; Steve JobsProgram

Expected Result:

Jane Doe: 5

John Smith: 3

Steve Jobs: 2

I have also tried separating out the delimited data into new rows, but have found that the other data becomes incorrect when I am counting the number of events, etc. 

Any pointers in the right direction or things to try would be greatly appreciated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@carlG , I think the best is that you have a table where you split the name data by rows.  You can keep a copy of a table like this and have another one where names are splitter into the rows https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@carlG , I think the best is that you have a table where you split the name data by rows.  You can keep a copy of a table like this and have another one where names are splitter into the rows https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

Thank you @amitchandak,

Was hoping to avoid the second table, but after further testing, and your comment looks like the most feasible way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.