Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Deleting source data

Hi,

Possibly a trivial query but one that isn't 100% clear - I'm looking to archive and remove a lot of historical daily reports we have on our server which are all identical .csv files, so I've imported the folder they're all in as a folder, done a little bit of manipulation within Power Query and the .pbix file is set up as I want it. I then intend on deleting the source folder to free up space.

I know that if I leave the file as it is and don't try to refresh it at any point, the data will stay in the .pbix file (and I presume similarly in the service), but I may want to append on further reports when archiving at a later date. I assume that if I take the main query and uncheck include in report refresh, the data it was using no longer being there won't be a problem, that said, the "helper queries" created when setting up the import of the folder have that option greyed out - can anyone advise if it'd be safe to just uncheck include in refresh on the main query and then remove the source data? I guess I could test by renaming the folder for now but don't know if anyone's tried similar already

2 REPLIES 2
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

So there's no way to load data and then tell the .pbix "just leave this as it is, do not change it ever, do not try to refresh it ever" and have it sit there?

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jthomson ,

You may delete the used source data , while if you delete the root data source, the reference queries may give an error.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.